its 8weeks to soon?

is 8 weeks to soon to start potty training my puppy? any advice on how to potty train her?

robinalbright

Asked by robinalbright at 10:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Pets

• At 8 weeks they can not hold their bladder. You need to get a small crate. Small enough for her to stand up and turn around in only. You keep your pup in there when you are gone, or you are not watching her. Every time you let her out of her crate you take her directly outside. Anytime you feed her/water her...you take her directly outside. If you are not holding or watching her then she needs to be in the crate. Now....as your dog gets bigger...if she is not potty trained of course your will need to get a bigger crate. They have to have room move. They don't need to be up in the crate for hours at a time....if you can't be there to take care of them then you don't need a dog right now ( I wasn't directing that to you, just in general). Best of luck. You can always look online and find great ideas on house breaking.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Crate training works really well :)
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 10:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• how do you do that??
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 10:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• lol sorry, what she said. Dogs won't pee in a small, confined area (crate). I used to leave my dog in at night and take him straight out. During the day we would just watch him closely and take hm out
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 11:19 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Ha...my dog peed in her crate...she didn't follow that rule for sure! I would come home to a white dog covered in pee and runny poo. It was awful. I just had to take a week off work, and take her outside to go potty every 1.5 - 2 hours. I would take her to her special "potty spot" and tell her to go potty. After one week, we were trained!
    stephanie.rose

Answer by stephanie.rose at 1:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Yes, you can start potty training at eight weeks, but you're going to have to take her out a LOT more often now than you will when she's older. With some patience, though, it'll work great, good luck to you!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:11 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• just take them out right after they eat and right before bed. i didnt use a crate with either of my dogs and they are fully trained. lots of treats as positive reinforcement and if they have an accident rub their nose in it...old fashioned but it worked for me
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My dog peed in the crate too! I ended up having to just take him outside all the time (about every hour). If he went, he got a treat. If not, we just tried again a little bit later. (I usually didn't wait as long to try again if he didn't go) The only problem I had after that was that I think he expected to go out every hour or so! But he eventually was able to go longer and longer.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• NEVER rub your dogs nose in it.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 6:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2008