Why is Egypt in an uproar all, of a sudden?

I need some enlightenment on what is going on over there. It seemed to have come out of the blue! Their President has said that he would leave right after their elections and had even requested that the elections be moved up so that the people wouldn't have to wait until September. They have gone 30 years with him, so I don't understand why they aren't willing to wait just until someone else takes over. What, exactly is the problem? What is our media leaving out? Or did I miss something?

ThankfullyProud

Asked by ThankfullyProud at 6:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I didn't think I was hostile, I apologize if my answer seemed this way.  I could be hostile now since I typed a long answer out and accidentally deleted it. grrrr

Anyway, I searched for an article that would best answer all the points you might have questions about.  I was in Jordan when the protests began in Tunisia.  Everyone around me were saying if the Tunisians succeed this will spread like wildfire.  Egypt has a lot of influence in the Western world and the Arab world, and they are also influenced by the Western world. Power to the People right?  If the  Egyptians succeed then I would look towards Yemen, Jordan and Syria. 

Here is the [LINK], I hope you find it resourceful.

Patient.Mama

Answer by Patient.Mama at 10:29 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Wow why is every one getting so hostile??? its a simple question answer it and move on.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• as an American, it is very hard to imagine how others feel in a very different culture, society etc.
    let alone the slanted news that gets to us
    i do not feel all of a sudden, but built up for years ready to boil over

i always go back to the novel, A Tale of Two Cities, when peoples of a country gather strength in numbers and can not take any more
    willing to give their lives to better their country for their next generation
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:10 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• This is not all of a sudden, it is just news in the US now. Yes he has been President for 30 years and for each election he mysteriously wins with 99.99%...more BS from him.

Patient.Mama

Answer by Patient.Mama at 7:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Out of the blue? Really?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I am sensing anymosity.  It was not my intention to offend nor criticize anybody.  I just thought somebody would know more of the facts than what is on our national and local news.  As I said, maybe they did mention more and I just didn't catch it.  I may be wrong (I don't watch the news every day because I see it as bias but I try to check the BBC once a week), but with the bad weather this week, I have and it seems to have come out of the blue on our news.  I am not nieve enough to believe that it HAS just come out of the blue.  When anger & frustration turn into hatred, it is really sad.  I just figured that I may be able to get a more informed insight.  Honestly, that's all I wanted.

ThankfullyProud

Comment by ThankfullyProud (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• to Patient.Mama: Thank you for that tad bit of information. It does shine some light and I appreciate your response. That is suspicous!  But isn't there any way that they could have demanded a recount or got him removed?

ThankfullyProud

Comment by ThankfullyProud (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• thank you mrsundin. you're right. it is only a simple questions!
    ThankfullyProud

Comment by ThankfullyProud (original poster) at 9:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Well they are unhappy with their President who is more of a dictator. Apparently he won reelection and maybe cheated about it. Unemployment is high there. People average $51 a mth when they do work. They want the guy gone and democracy. Thats fine and all but now we just dont know who will take over and if they will end up with the democracy they all want. But basically, they were unhappy with their Govt and started protesting.

Answer by gemgem at 10:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• GemGem, yes you are correct about the average pay.  In Jordan we have what is called a Janitor for Building/Flats.  The majority of houses are flats in a building.  Each Building has their own Janitor who does everything for them, takes out the garbage, wash the cars, gets your groceries, etc.  The majority of them are Egyptians.  They go there to make money, put up with this POS job and send all the money home to their families.

Patient.Mama

Answer by Patient.Mama at 10:36 AM on Feb. 3, 2011