Do you have a tzdakah box?

How often do you empty it? How do you decide what to do with the money?

Asked by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes. My kids take it to Hebrew school and put it in the Hebrew School tzedaka and let the kids decide where the money goes.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:26 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• We have 3. One is a big pink cow (veal tzedakah- ouch, I know.) I am currently making a box out of fabric and the kids have deemed it our new tzedakah box. And there is always a JNF box around which doesn't always get a lot.

We talk about it as a family. this year it will go to my oldest's mitzvah project for his bar mitzvah - change the world. it just takes cents. It was started by one of his teachers in response to the atrocities happing in Darfur. So far she has raised enough money to open a pre-school for Darfuri refugees in Tel Aviv.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:37 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• May I ask, what's a tzdakah box? (For us non-Jews)

I'm guessing it's a savings type thing or alms for the poor?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Tzedakah is money gathered for charity. It can go to poor people but also other charitable causes - the local animal shelter, a food pantry, planting trees in areas where there was a fire.

It is part of doing good deeds, also called a mitvah (mitzvot - plural) that it the cornerstone for our culture as Jews. It is important for us to do good deeds and to give as much as we can, without ourselves needing charity.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Just to add to the above, Tzedakah comes from the Hebrew word for righteousness, and is considered to be an important part of Tikkun Olam, or repairing the world

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• awesome
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2011