do your kids still walk home from school?

it is so scary these days with all the child molesters. when i was growing up we walked home but i am nervous about letting young kids walk home .

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 6:37 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Oh, something to keep in mind (and I know this from personal experience), there really aren't any more child molesters, etc today than there used to be - the only difference is that now, we as a society talk about it more, work harder to educate our children about it, etc.

So it's not that it's more dangerous now than it used to be, it's just that before, we didn't know.... (Sort of like wearing a seat belt or using a car seat - it's not that driving was more safe back then, just that we didn't know as much about the consequences of not using it...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• HECK NO! My kids are never out of my sight!!! I have one in school and he is picked up and dropped off by a family member everyday. A family member goes on all his field trips too. It's not just strangers you have to worry about, it's the very people at your child's school too.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:43 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My youngest does not walk home and neither does my oldest, their schools are to far away, My middle one walks when the weather is nice. Right now we have so much snow I pick him up. He is 12 and there is a big group of kids that walk.

It can be scary at times, although I think kids need to learn independence and he asked if he could walk. I think everyone has to do what they feel is best for their family,
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My kids walk home, though they're teens and we live across the street from their high school. However, they also walked when we lived in MD and they went to Middle School, and it was about a mile to school. They walked with a group of friends, stayed on sidewalks and stuff (no doing things like cutting through peoples yards, etc - besides being rude, it's dangerous). I think it's important that they get a chance to start being more independent, and that it's a gradual process, but at the same time, we need to keep them safe, and not let them do these things too early and put them at risk... I think it's a fine line that we all have to walk :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i walk mine to and from school, but they are 6 and 7. my 7yr old did ask this morning if she could start walking alone since there are a ton of kids that walk, but i dont know if im ready for her to do that, i will probably just let her walk ahead for another year and then let her walk on her own.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• We live literally right next door to the school. But still, I go outside where I can see my child (3rd grade) at all times. I have done this for the last 2 years we have lived here. But, I am not out there to make sure she doesn't get abducted or anything, some of the kids that walk home are vicious. They push down smaller kids, run but and punch someone in the back of the head... I am out there to make sure she is safe from attacks like that.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 9:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would let mine walk, but I'm on my way to work anyway so I drive them. We live in a safe neighborhood and lots of kids do walk to our school.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:50 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would let my 4th and 5th grader walk to school if we lived close enough. My kids are all over the neighborhood in the afternoon! (with all the other neighborhood kids)

Answer by missanc at 9:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• They walk home from the bus stop which is down the street. They also wait at the bus stop in the morning without any adults. Just like all the other kids in the neighborhood. In fact they are getting ready to head out the door right now and I'm still in my pajamas.

Last year we lived in Chicago and they walked to school every morning on their own. They were in 4th, 2nd and 1st grades and it was a 7 minute walk (about 3 1/2 city blocks). They would have walked home, too, but the school took that parental right away saying they were too young. I grew up in that neighborhood and it was no different than when I was a kid walking home from school.

There are not kidnappers and molesters waiting around every corner for your kids. It just seems that way thanks to media focusing on that every chance they get.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:07 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• When my kids were still in public school they walked home from one school (it was less than a block from our house) and only when it was nice weather. Otherwise I would pick them up. Now, we homeschool so their walk "home" is from the dining room to their bedrooms. LOL
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:11 AM on Feb. 3, 2011