Is this true?

"A far-reaching anti-choice bill, introduced by Republican Chris Smith and supported by 173 members of the House, includes a provision that could redefine rape in the realm of federal funding for reproductive health care.
Right now, federal dollars can't be used for abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or when the woman's life is in danger. But the Smith bill would narrow that use to "cases of 'forcible' rape but not statutory or coerced rape."

Just read about it this morning.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Sounds like it's true to me. This is what is important to the republicans appeasing their right wing religious followers. Instead of getting right on the economy, they get busy working on abortion.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I am not suprised moveon is spreading this lie.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:58 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/725324/How_are_the_republicans_trying_to_redefine_rape

Read through this link and see if you can determine how ignorant the replies are. NO it isn't true.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:56 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• If people quit getting their panties in a twist over the "redefine rape" part and actually pay attention to the "federal funding" part they might get a clue what this is really about, which has NOTHING to do with rape.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:03 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Yes, it is true. And terrifying

Answer by rkoloms at 7:26 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I read this on the news just yesterday or the day before.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• So what only certain types of rape can be used as a reason for getting an abortion???
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:53 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Yes, it is true. And terrifying........rkoloms

This comment pretty much sums up my thoughts.

what a "sweet" reply.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:59 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• mommom2000, they are working on the economy. It isn't about abortion it is about FEDERAL FUNDING....you know what those tax dollars some of us pay are spent on. Oh nevermind, I'm wasting my time.

IMO, there should be NO federal funds going for abortion for ANY reason. People pay for them themselves every day...it isn't like it costs a fortune. I am sure there are plenty of pro choice people that could help fill a financial void if some kind of charity were set up.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:36 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• NP, it appears that no matter how many facts to dispel this rumor are presented to them, the idea of using it to smear the right is more appealing. 

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2011