What helps cold sores?

I have been using teA tree oil which works good but this one is just huge my son (5) is expressing that it is very painful. Which makes since but idk what will make it less painful

SammiGirl07

Asked by SammiGirl07 at 7:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Baking soda
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 7:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Abreva
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• a chapstick looking thingy called herpercin. found in the chapstick asile at walmart, costs about 3.50. have mine gone in about 3 day, and i used to get them BAD! good luck! oh, ya, and it does have something to make not quite so painful in it!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 7:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Don't put undiluted tea tree oil on the skin.

Get him L-lysine (it is an amino acid)

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• L-lysine helps with number of skin ailments, and boasts the immune system.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• It is a form of HERPES.

Teatree does help the healing process, but a steroid based treatment will work much faster (like abreva). My ex had it... As diligent as I was in sterilizing EVERYTHING, and making sure no food, drinks, etc were ever shared, when he abducted my son he got it too :(

Taking L-lysine will help prevent them, but it must be a part of a daily regiment, and if he is not used to taking pills you will have a hard time getting it in him.
    To help numb it, you can get a bottle of benzocaine for a couple of bucks. Put that on before the teatree. I attest to the fact that teatree hurts like hell on any kind of wound, but it works wonders.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:44 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Thanks guys the tea tree oil really works for us, whenever we get sick and have a fever we get fever blisters and we get them on our lips and very small on our finger tips! And he can handle the teatree just complains of the taste and smell! But thanks for the advice
    SammiGirl07

Comment by SammiGirl07 (original poster) at 7:50 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Hydrogen peroxide dabbed on with a Qtip. It will sting but will clear it up within a day or two.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2011