How do you clean out a coffee maker?

I've heard you run vinegar and water through it, but what's the vinegar to water ratio? do you run it through just once? Should you run a pot of plain water through it after the vinegar and water?

logansmama

Asked by logansmama at 7:41 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We have hard water so when the coffee pot starts slowing down we use CLR and follow the directions on the back.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Ours says to use vinegar maybe once a month. Put a filter and small bottle of white vinegar in the coffee maker. Let about two cups run through. Turn off the coffee maker and let it sit for an hour or so. Then turn it back on to let the rest of the vinegar run through. Then run a couple of pots of water through to rinse out all vinegar.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I do several ways...
    run cold water and 1/2 cup of white vinegar
    run cold water and 1/2 cup of baking soda & water solution (then run clean cold water thru)
    I have also used cold water and a 1/2 cup of lemon juice & water solution (again running cold water thru afterwards)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• water & vinegar is the best solution for a clean coffee pot - we have one of the "space savers" mounted under the cabinet (I love it) and this cleans it just fine
    mia1alex

Answer by mia1alex at 12:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I don't use it so I don't clean it. Hubby does and I have no idea how he does it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Use vinegar and water once. Then rinse again with plain water.
    free1

Answer by free1 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The vinegar and water is with the pots with the glass carafe, not the aluminum pots. You can also run coca cola through them as the cola eats up the residues as well. Just put the water in them for the pot and put maybe 1/2 cup of vinegar (just a guess). It steralizes as well. You do have to rinse it out well as vinegar does have a smell and a taste. With aluminum pots the vinegar might discolor the pots. You can boil coke in it though. the carbonated water takes off the water spots and the lime accumulation.
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2011