Would you let your almost 13 yo son see "The Rite" or "Roommate"?

They are both PG-13 but I don't know about the content. My husband said let him go.

robinkane

Asked by robinkane at 7:56 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• http://www.pluggedin.com/movies/intheaters/rite.aspx

Here's a detailed breakdown of the content of The Rite. I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the other movie, but perhaps you can do a search for more info.

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:59 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I dont know about room mate but yeah Id let mine see the rite. In fact were thinking about going to see it anyway. My son is only 10 (almost 11) and were both movie people and like the same sort of thing. Were also Catholic and I heard The Rite is a good movie and not gory at all.

Answer by gemgem at 7:59 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• It depends on the reason for the rating. Some PG-13s are worse than some Rs.
    poisonivy2917

Answer by poisonivy2917 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• absolutely
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:05 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i learned my lesson letting my kids watch pg 13 movies. how to eat green fried worms. That movie had the words vagina and penis and was a little too revealing imo.
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 5:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• yes my 9 and 12yr want to see them on dvd
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 8:10 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I am not familiar with either movie. With PG 13 movies, I might have let the kids see them with me and then talked about them later. My kids still do not see R rated movies even though they are in their 40's. I do for ones that are not sadistic or scary. I like war movies and some action movies. My kids themselves chose not to see R rated movies because of religious reasons. They were discouraged. They are good examples to me. Even today they may not see PG13 movies if they have sex in them. My grandkids are the same. They do like Harry Potter and some of them see vampire movies that are popular (in the good vampire types. When they were in their teens I would read books and tell them they could read certain ones but we had to talk about them. They would then choose not to read them if they thought they shouldn't. i did not necessarily exclude them myself, but only wanted to discuss our standards.
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2011