do you think that public schools are inferior to private schools ?

meaning; the quality of education and morals.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 8:03 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• There are some great public schools and bad private ones, but that said, I think private schools are, on average, better than public schools, and that is because they can be selective about who attends, and parents who are paying out of pocket for private school are likely to have expectations that their children will try to do well.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Morals are taught at home, but private schools offer much better education, significant less students per teacher. My three kids went to private school all their life and after graduating and went to college, they were asked what school they went to because they were way ahead of their peers.

Answer by older at 11:03 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• It depends. Where I live now (Western NC small town) our student to teacher ratio is pretty low, and the quality of education is fairly high. Moral values seem to match most of the parents in this area. This is the Bible belt so most teachers believe the same things as most parents do. For instance, we had National Prayer Day and the school allowed parents and children to meet by the flag pole & pray together before school. If we lived in a larger town or different state these things might not be true.
    I also lived in NJ, CA & VA in larger towns and found their educational standards lower & moral values compromised. If I still lived there my kids would now be attending a private school or being home schooled. So I think it is really dependent on alot of things, and what you hold important.

Answer by gemgem at 8:07 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• It depends on where the school(s) are. There are excellent private and public schools. In our area (Louisville), the schools are very good, and my children attend school with other children like themselves. Likewise, the morals of the area area reflected in the school.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• There is a lot of variation in the quality of both public and private schools. However, bad private schools have a tendancy to go out of business.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• no
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:57 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Attitudes are inferior. Parents' paychecks are inferior. Rules, Laws, and Regulations are inferior.
    QueenAdeela

Answer by QueenAdeela at 11:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Nope. I went to Catholic schools my whole life. I suppose I got a better education compared to some of my public school peers because of the schools in the area but morals...not really any different. I was treated like crap in school by the other kids (had rumors spread about me, teased, bullied, etc) and that was just in junior high. There were just as many kids sleeping around (in junior high even), getting pregnant, fighting, etc, as the public schools.
    My kids went to a Catholic school for 3 years and learned almost nothing. I had to teach 2 of them to read on their own but there was no room at the local public school for them. They are in a PS now and just excelling. They've learned more in the last few months than they did in 2 years and I'm surprised at how quick they caught up (because they were all behind).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• The quality of education is just not the same in our private school, but they are all religious based and focus more on religion than on education. I'm not a fan of our public schools either, which is why we homeschool.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Probably.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2011