The LSD incident in Chicago during Blizzard, 2011:

Anyone else think there's misplaced blame going on with the situation concerning Lake Shore Drive during the storm? The group at OEMC is sure getting a lot of heat for not doing more re: shutting down the Drive earlier - what about the idiots who did not heed the warnings that a major storm was coming? Anyone who's lived or worked in this city knows what highways are like during a storm of this magnitude, especially the Drive which runs right along the lakefront!!!! No one anticipated that accidents may occur and that they could be stranded for hours? That's exactly what happened when that CTA bus jack-knifed and blocked all traffic. Why was it the City's job to shut down the Drive rather than folks exerting common sense and avoiding it at all costs?

And Rahm Emmanuel, who has yet to be elected Mayor (if at all) is already talking about opening an inquiry into what happened. What a bunch of idiots.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• rather than folks exerting common sense and avoiding it at all costs
    what city are we talking about here?
    common sense does not equal Chicago.
    When I first read your post I thought chicagoans were all at home tripping on bad acid while it snowed.
    Me and my hippie days!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I thought the same thing jewjewbee.
    "Woah...did someone dose the snow and eat it?!"
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 8:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• The people driving had a certain responsibility - shutting down the LSD is a huge move, and had the storm not been as bad as it was (which happens, forecasters don't always get it right), people would have been screaming that the city acted unnecessarily. Chicago couldn't win either way. The drivers had access to the news/weather just as everyone else did.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• When I first read your post I thought chicagoans were all at home tripping on bad acid while it snowed.
    Me and my hippie days!

LOL, that was what I thought. I figured it was going to be about someone tripping out.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:03 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Oh, I hadn't heard that this had escalated to an "incident" yet. But I agree. We had plenty of warning that the storm was coming and that it was going to be bad. Shoot, I was out on Monday making sure we were well-prepared in case we lost power or were stuck in the house or whatever. Hubby came home from work early Tuesday from downtown. It's called "paying attention to your environment and being responsible for yourself".

Should the city have shut down LSD sooner? I don't know. Maybe. But then people would have been upset that they couldn't use it to go home. Should they have halted use of the accordianed CTA busses. Yeah, probably. But lots of people were using busses, so CTA needed the capacity.

There doesn't need to be an inquiry. If you were someone who took the risk to be on LSD during a blizzard, you should have known you were taking a chance. Be glad there were people to get you out of your cars.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:29 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• There are stupid people everywhere. outside of Chicago major roads were shut down, The tollway (90) was shut down here at the state-line because last year stupid people got stuck for 18 hours, again semi blocking traffic. I39, the other north/south route out of here was also shut down for about 12 hours. Out in farm country the ISP and sheriffs were handing out tickets if you were out. In Winnebago some idiot was stuck in his car from about 8pm until they could get snowmobiles out to them at 3am. Those responsible for making that kid of decision are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

In defense of some, Chrysler sent its employees a message that if they didn't show for work they would face disciplinary actions. With the economy the it is most chose to try to get to work.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:40 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Ha! Jenny
    I thought for a minute, wow, 2011 and LSD? We really do have that mexican border pot trafficking thing under control if we're going back to cheap chemicals.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Maybe Chicago is just so comfortable with a Nanny State that they figured the road is open, local government knows what's best.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:44 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Sorry, folks. We Chicagoans refer to the Drive using its acronym "LSD". Guess if you're not from around here, you wouldn't know that.

They still should know the song.  Though I suspect it got a bit more play on WFYR and the Loop than in other cities.

But as a PP said, there was no right answer there - if they'd shut it down, they would've had those same messes happening on the side streets as people tried to navigate their way out without knowing where they are on the main roads.  And the ones on the side streets would've been stuck even longer.  All it takes is one guy turning the wrong way down one of the one ways to make a huge mess - compound that with all the signs being plastered with snow.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:01 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Damn it
    stoner walking away from boring ass post.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Feb. 3, 2011