Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

back child support and taxes.

If your childs father owes back child support (and its enforced) how much can he be behind before they take his tax money?? My childs father is 6 months behind he owes like 1,450 (yes he only pays 246 a month). Are they going to take if from his taxes or does he have to be so far behind before they take that step????

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • It depends on the state. In Ohio, they will take it if there is anything in arrears. I know that other states allow their deadbeat parents get pretty far behind before they go after tax returns. You can call your local office and find out.

    Answer by Scuba at 8:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • My ex had his taken, and he only has to pay $50 a month- but he's pretty far behind. He'll probably have it taken again this year, because he's behind again. In Pennsylvania if you file your taxes and you're behind on child support- it goes to child support first.

    Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • They can be taken almost anytime after you are 3 months behind in most states. He needs to call the tax off set number to see if there is a lean on his taxes. 800-304-3107
    Also call the IRS and ask. Call child support and ask too. They are supposed to send a letter saying they are going to take it, but they dont always.
    I got my child support basically once a year for 7 yrs because my ex never paid. He always claimed they never told him and just took his returns. Some years I got his entire return.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • In Ga, they take it if you are behind at all. At least that's what happened to my dad. lol

    Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • In NC he had to have been behind in October for them to get the forms in to the government.

    Answer by missanc at 8:27 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • I am not sure it is based on what is owed or not but if he is remarried and files his taxes his new wife can file for injured spouse meaning half of his taxes are hers whether she works or not. If they file together she will be able to keep half of what his return is. Had a neighbor who was able to do this and they still got like three thousand back.

    Answer by mrssundin at 8:46 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • They can take it from his ex owed/owes me 17,000 in back CS. I did everything I could to get the money from him. My Children are older now so I'm pretty much over it...just typical,, things always work out for him. I even contacted Support kids and they couldn't even help me. I certainly wish you the best.

    Answer by tracylyn245 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • my hubby owes 1680 dollars got a letter from the state his ex moved to demanding his tax check, it then got taken back to Indiana because that i where support was orginally set. he is paying the back amount and current amount but they can still take the tax check but if they do it gets them off our back but she will be complaining because she will not get food stamps that month.

    Answer by WildCat73 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • I'm sure it depends on your state but I just called the office Friday and she said if they're behind at least $500, they will intervene and the tax check will go to you!

    Answer by genagina at 3:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.