What is your "style" of parenting??

Im over protective , strict to an extent but not over bearing, im fun and spontaneous also. I also believe in individuality and self expression...to an extent of course. I not only want my kids to see me as a parent im their friend too. I maintain a close relationship with my kids and hope they will always be able to come to me with anything. Im nice and i let them get their way when they are good and they do whats asked of them but in no way am i a pushover. Just a fun , loving, caring and affectionate mommy who believes in morals and respect ! What about you?

MsBrazil86

Asked by MsBrazil86 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Laid back and easy going. But don't disrespect or back talk me. And don't lie.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I had my oldest 3 by the time I was 22 so with the older 3 we grew up together. Its a different relationship then what I have with my 10 & 5 yr old. I always told them I knew I was going to make mistakes and we were learning things together. I punished them when they were bad, talked to them when they were down, never told them they were *bad* because I feel when you do its wrong. I tried to teach them about life more then anything.
    My 10 & 5 yr old have it a little different. I was 28 & 32 when I had them. I am not all that strict, do have rules, and do alot of after school things with them. Id like to say I am a fun loving parent, and mostly I am. Old habits die hard. I also though have to do alot since my dh works alot.

Answer by gemgem at 8:35 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I am strict, fun, loving, caring and crazy :). Granted my kids are still young, but I believe in raising independent little ones who can think for themselves, and understand to respect others and always put others before themselves. I will raise them to befriend everyone and to never be a bully. They will know that my husband and I are always there for them regardless of the decisions they make. They will learn tough love as I believe without it we are doomed for failure. They are my heart and my life, and that will always be evident.
    sweetiepie8540

Answer by sweetiepie8540 at 8:37 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• fairly laid back and let my kids discover alot on their own. and they really do know their limits for the most part. i was 23 when i had them so in ways we r growing together and they are my best little buds. as long as no ones getting hurt or going to break its open game
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 8:42 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I'm pretty strict - I expect them to do well in school, respect others and themselves, and do what I ask of them. I'm not their friend, I'm their mom. They know I love them, and that they can come to me with anything, but I'm still "the boss." My kids don't want for anything really, but they aren't spoiled by a long shot. They know that they have to earn priveleges.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:55 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I'd say I'm just generally consistent about everything, and I do mean everything. For example, when I'd give my toddlers a time-out, I'd use the exact same tone of voice and language every time. Every negative behavior results in a consequence, every positive behavior results in praise. I look for teachable moments so that I can consistently provide both information and demonstration. Explanations are repeated for clarity and consistency.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:29 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I'm reasonably laid back, but the rules that I have had better be followed (most of those have to do with being kind/respectful to parents, siblings, teachers, pets, etc.) I'm honest to a fault... if my kids ask a tough question, they just may get a tough answer. I'm honest... I will talk about my own childhood (good and bad), will talk about decisions I've made (good and bad), I let them know what is going on in my life just as they let me know what is going on in theirs (I'm taking an online college certificate and my son always wants to check my grades... the last time I got a mark that wasn't up to his exacting standards he told me that I should proofread my answers better next time- because that's what I keep telling him! LOL!) I want them to know I'm human and definitely not perfect. I apologize if I'm not happy with how I handled something, I don't always need to be 'right.'
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011