Cooking Club Idea

My idea was for a circle of friends to get together and share homemade, cooked, frozen meals (or pre-prepped sealed, frozen meals)? I've seen it done before and they were fresh (not frozen) and one mom (or dad) would be in charge on one Friday night and cook double or triple portions (its VERY easy to just double your dish one evening - on the weekend or something) and people would come and pick up their hot meal. I think the hot meal wouldn't work for my schedule (and most women (or men) that work - not in their home). But what do you think? Had anyone done anything like this before?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 9:32 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Food & Drink

• never done anything like this although it sounds like a great idea!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My friends and I did a frozen meal thing when we all lived near. Once a month we would gather to shop for and prep 5-10 frozen dinners for our families. Each of us would plan a number of entrees and make our lists. We'd all head to Costco together then go back to one of our houses and get to work. It was fun to be together and get it done.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:53 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Hm - that's a twist. Can I have more details? I don't t know if I could actually cook WITH these people...everyone is SO busy! But, individually, you would prep 5 - 10 (maybe the number of families in the group) frozen dinners (like all the ingredients for BBQ Chicken or something? Fry ten onions and cut up 5 - 10 meals of chicken?) But if you were in a group - one could be on onions - one could be on chicken - one on spices? I was thinking bi-monthly exchanges...with 5 - 10 families? That would be like having 5 - 10 meals on hand? Am I thinking correctly?
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I've done this as an activity for children aged 7-10, to teach them basic cooking skills. I'd do any prep work not suitable for the children to do (like cutting up chicken) and have things ready when they arrived. We'd make several meals, enough for each family to have enough servings, and send the children home with the meals ready to freeze or use immediately. Each child also recived the recipes we used to take home.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:20 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Hm - that's a twist, too. Did you charge? Did you have to have a special permit to prepare food in your home? I do that with 2 - 6 yr olds, but just like breads and cookies...
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Feb. 3, 2011