Fave taco casserole ideas?

i am vegetarian but my family is not so i am up for meat or meatless ideas.

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Food & Drink

• My kids LOVE this - and you could easily switch out the ground beef for black beans (I usually mash beans into my meat so it's half & half). Not sure of the amounts, but this is my recipe. Brown 2 lbs ground beef, drain. Mix in 1-2 packets taco seasoning, half a cup of Miracle whip, 1 can or 2 cups frozen corn, and a small jar of salsa (any heat, any brand, any variety). Spread half of mixture in a 9x13 pan, or 1/4 in each of 2 8x8 pans (freeze one for later!). Sprinkle on about a cup of shredded cheese (any kind works, I usually use a mexican blend or colby-jack or cheddar-jack). Crush a bag of tortilla chips (plain, Doritos, whatever your preference - my kids prefer plain tortilla chips, I like Doritos). Spread on the rest of the meat mixture, and repeat the chip & cheese layers. Bake til hot & bubbly. Serve as is or with taco toppings - I use shredded lettuce, sour cream, more salsa, and ranch dressing. Leftovers r awesome!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My huband (taught to him by his father) makes this dish called Machies. It is like a mexican lasagna. Preheat the oven 350. He takes 1 small can of tomato paste and mixes it with 2 big cans of refried beans. Then he mixes that with a pound or two (depending on how much meat you like...) of browned ground chuck. (If you want you can add taco sauce to give it a little zing or add it on after it is cooked.) Take flour tortililas and layer the mixture on top of the tortillias. Top the mixture with whole slices of cheese. Keep layering until the pan is full. Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes. Not really TACOS, more like a burrito casserole dish, but I hope it helps.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 9:53 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Take pillsbury cresent rolls and press them into the bottom of a pan. bake for 10-20 until brown. at the same time brown ground beef or your vegi alternative on the stovetop and add mexican seasoning mix... take the crust out of the oven and top with browned taco meat, and cheddar cheese (feel free to add more stuff to make it spicy) bake until the cheese melts. cut and plate the food then top with shredded lettus and sour cream. sooo good!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2011