Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need to legally change my first name. something that would become Ali for short

basically my mother has destroyed my life, i won't go into detail of what she has done to me but it's huge. i need to start fresh with a new name. my name is Alicia but none of my friends call me that. i've always been Ali. i don't want to change it to just Ali though. also my name will be completely changed. first, middle, and last so will they change the name on my daughter's birth certificate? it has my birth name on it under mother, will they change it to my new name?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (13)
  • You could change it to Alison...?
    As for the rest of your questions, you need to contact an attorney as laws and procedures for name changes vary from state to state.

    Answer by vicesix at 9:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • I always thought Alessandra was pretty. Sorry. I don't know about your other questions.

    Answer by Hazelnutkin at 9:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • ask the court house.

    Answer by diamondsarecool at 9:48 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • I'd contact a lawyer...I believe you can do a name change for your daughter, too.....Oh, how about Allison?

    Answer by Anna92464 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • I do believe that it will change on your DD birth certificate, when my sons last name changed and my DH adopted him we had to get a new birth certificate.

    As far as a name for you I would pick something you like..go on a website with baby names and see if you like one.

    Good Luck!

    Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • Alissa, Allison, Alice, Alix

    Answer by MrsMWF at 9:50 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • i don't want to change her name. she has her fathers name. i want to change my name under her mother

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • Alia?

    Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:50 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • I am sure you can get it changed on the birth certificate if yours is legally changed. I like Alexis or Alena or you could just go with Ali. Good luck

    Answer by parajumper3 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

  • thats a hard one i think you need to ask a lawyer in your state, county these ?'s, most do consults for free....and my daughters middle name is allison its cute.......

    Answer by cara124 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.