Breast feeding weight loss

How many calories do you actually burn while breast feeding? I keep waiting for the weight loss to begin and it's just not happening. How old was your child when the pounds started dropping?

bugfin

Asked by bugfin at 10:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know how many calories it burns, but it took about 9 months for me to lose the weight each time, it slowly dropped throughout those 9 months. But I know people who lost all the weight right away and other people who never lost any weight, so it varies.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:06 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• after my labor i was still about 25lbs over prepregancy but after 3 months of bf i ws down to prepregancy. it takes time and it wont happen over nite. i only bf for 3 months before my production quit on me so i dont know if it would have helped me loose more weight but it did get the pregancy weight off fairly fast.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• approxiamately 500. But that's becasue it takes more calories to make and supply milk. you will most naturally lose weight, but if your milk supply is low, you will need to eat more to keep it up. But there is another advantage that you will see down the road. Breastfeeding makes your uterus muscles contract, which help with the recovery from birth (vaginal or c-section), and the longer you bf, the stronger those muscles will be which makes losing weight and getting back in shape,down the road, easier. bf also helps reduce your chances for breast cancer. There are many more benifits to you and baby, weight lose is just a perk.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Breastfeeding burns "up to" 500 calories a day. You still have to eat the proper amount of calories and exercise to lose weight. For some it's easier than others.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 10:10 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• after my DD was born and I was BF I lost ALL my weight (and then some) it got a little scary for me....to loose 35lbs in 2 wks (while eating more than ever) was scary! I talked to my dr and they didn't seem to be to worried about it, but I was. I'm now back up to my pre preggers weight, but to answer the question.....some women loose none, some loose a little, some loose a lot and some loose TOO MUCH, but just relax and you'll loose the weight or not, but that okay. You are still a beautiful woman with a beautiful baby :)
    mommatime31050

Answer by mommatime31050 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I know some women hold onto 5 or 10 pounds until they wean. I don't see any real weight loss until about 8-10 months.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 10:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• By the time my DD was 7 mos and I stopped I hadn't really lost any weight. After the baby I was down to about 10 pounds more than pre pregnancy and was stuck there.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:07 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Breastfeeding never helped me loose any weight. Even after a year with each of them.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:38 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I always lost all of my baby weight within 2 weeks (but I never gained more than 22 lbs), and then I could eat whatever I wanted without gaining weight while breastfeeding. I loved it! Unfortunately, I had some supply issues with my 5th that I couldn't resolve and had to quit breastfeeding at 6 months. But apparently it's different for everyone because I have friends who didn't lose much at all while breastfeeding.

Answer by missanc at 12:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Some moms don't lose while nursing. But also remember... nine months on, minimum nine months of.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2011