how do you make sweet n sour chicken?

i have a recipe but i want to try it with the ingredients i have on hand & not the ingredients in the recipe.

what i have is: pineapple chunks, teriyaki sauce, sesame ginger sauce, soy sauce, vinegar. i know i can use one of those sauces along with minced garlic and other seasonings to make it. my recipe calls for apricot preserves, which i dont have, and only soy sauce. but im thinking just the pineapple and teriyaki might do the trick. what do you ladies think, and how do you usually make it? by the way, i would be throwing it all in the crockpot.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:06 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Food & Drink

• CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I take short cuts, I use the sweet sand sour sauce already made and add the pineapple.

Answer by older at 10:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• It seems to me you could do it with the teriyaki and pineapple. Maybe add a bit of honey or brown sugar for a little extra sweet and sticky. Do you have anything cherry that you could add for another layer of flavor?
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• This is my favorite recipe. I'm a vegetarian and I'll still make the sauce for things occasionally.

2 cut up medium fryer chickens
    1/2 cup wine vinegar
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    2 mashed cloves garlic
    3/4 cup ketshup
    1/3 cup honey or 1/2 cup sugar

place everything in a 2 quart casserole. Cover and bake for 2 hours at 325° or until extremely tender. Turn frequently.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:28 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• The grape jelly would work. I use a bottled sweet & sour and mix in a little white grape juice.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:39 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I call the Chinese Restaurant down the street. I've never made Sweet & Sour Chicken. If you find a good recipe, let me know and I'll give it a try.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 11:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Whip up what you think is good, place some on the side and add some ketchup to see what it tastes like.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• hmm unfortunately no, no cherry. i have grape & strawberry jelly though. lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2011