question about placenta previa/placental abruption

a very close friend of mine had a baby in May of 2010, and about halfway through her pregnancy they discovered her placenta was almost covering her cervix, but not completely so it was never called "previa" but it was about an inch difference. anyway, she was put on bedrest for the remainder of her pregnancy after going into labor early and taken off about 2 weeks before her due date. one night at about 4 am she woke up thinking her water had broken when infact she was bleeding out heavily. she was rushed to the ER for an emergency c-section and turns out her placenta had, infact, abrupted. thankfully both her & the baby survived.

anyway, she really really wants another baby before this one turns 2. she's young, turning 22 this year and also has a 4 year old. she wants to get her pregnancies out of the way now. but her husband is terrified of this happening again. he was overseas when this happened & couldn't be there for her. her doctor told her that this is just some freak thing that happens and the chances of it happening again are unlikely, even though it's happened before.

has this ever happened to any of you and if so, when you had another baby did it happen again?

simply curious.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• with men if a troubled pregancy happened once they will be scared. my husbands ex had troubled pregancies and when we were having our first he was scared the whole time but after a uneventfu pregancy he loosened up and the second was a complete breeze and he was alot more relaxed. its normal for him to be worried. he should talk to the doc about it with her so the doc and help releive some of his fears.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I had an abruption and partial previa with my last pregnancy. I'm not afraid it would happen to me again, but I understand that that is always a possibility for any pregnancy.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I had complete previa with my second pregnancy. I had unexplained bleeding the entire pregnancy...spent most of it on bedrest and had an ultrasound every week.

This is a freak thing that happens. I wouldn't be afraid of it happening again.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• it can happen to anyone and it doesnt mean that it will happen again. i was fine with my first and had a very low lieing placenta with my second which later on in the pregancy moved up as i grew so its not something that if it happened once it will happen again.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i only had one child, 100% placenta previa, total covering cervix
    did not bleed after the big one at start, had healthy baby ,(besides autism)

great she is young- this decreases the odds
    it is not common and sometimes a roll of the dice
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:24 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• There is exactly the same risk of it happening to anyone regardless of previous history. My Aunt had an abruption. Unfortunately, she lost her child. She went on to have two healthy boys and never had another previa.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Since this one was delivered by c-section then yes she does have an increased chance of it happened again because the placenta tends to implant on the scar tissue. It is one of the side effect of c-section that they don't like to tell you about, but the chances are still rather low. She should be watched for it. She should also consider spacing those babies out a little more so her uterus can heal. To repeat, her chances aren't greater because she had the abuption. Her chances are greater because she had a c-section.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I had previa with my last pregnancy. It was a scary pregnancy, and there were a few times when both my and my sons life was in serious danger. My OB advised me to not have another child - there is evidence that issues like that occur twice as often in women that have experienced previa. (not necessarily the abruption, but the previa condition)I was 39, and age may have been a factor, but it wasn't worth the risk to me.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:35 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• she's not afraid either, but he is. and thats what i figured too, that it could happen in any pregnancy, regardless of whether or not it's happened before. her husband's worried that the chances of it happening again are greater because it happened.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2011