can i ask to be induced at 40 weeks or before?

im only 18 weeks but for the future can i request to be induced and have my baby before 40 weeks? and im a military wife so we will have our baby on a military base hospital

AliciaLamoreux

Asked by AliciaLamoreux at 10:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You can always ask but be prepared for a lot of people to tell you that its not a good idea.

Babies born at even 39 weeks can have issues due to not being ready.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• only if it's medically necessary. i mean, yes, you can ask. but unless it's for the health benefit for you or your baby, it's totally unnecessary.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• You can always ask. There's no harm in that, but the doctor can always say no. You won't know for sure unless you ask.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• you can always ask and more than likely be told "no", I was lucky enough that my baby was due just before Christmas so my DR was willing to induce on my due date. But it wasn't needed :)
    mommatime31050

Answer by mommatime31050 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• All you can do is ask. The best way really is to let nature take it's course; they know when they are ready.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:31 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Why would you want to risk your baby's health and well-being that way? These days you're lucky if a doctor lets you get to 40 weeks anyway...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• you can ask to be but i would ask unless you are 40 weeks or a couple days later. with my second i asked and i was 40weeks and 2 days and she went ahead only because i had someone there that was out of state to take care of my other dd and she was going to be leaving the next day. so rather than have my dd underfoot while delivering she went ahead. but be prepared for the doc to tell you no.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Well, I asked my doctor for an elective induction, and he set the date right there. The weather was icy, extreme, and not safe to be out in, to just jump out on the roads at 3 am. My husband was working out of state. I have no family out here, no help to watch my kids, and would have been very stuck. My baby was also 39 weeks and 9lbs at birth, so it was best anyway. I'm not for self induction(castor oil, cohosh, etc) and find it wreckless, but if your doctor deems it appropriate, and runs all the right tests, then go ahead. You do whats best for you and ignore everyone else.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Why do you want to do this? You wouldn't take your clothing out the washer before it was finished, or your food out of the oven before it was cooked so why kick the kid out before its ready?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• BTW @ 38 weeks induction risks to your baby are jaundice because baby's liver isn't quite ready just yet, and possibly some mild breathing assistance. Just thought you should be aware. It does happen. My son was born at 38 weeks and in a NICU for 2 weeks! I had to leave him at the hospital, they wouldn't let me stay. He also had pnemonia 3 times before he turned one and was hospitalized, so it is definitly something to consider.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2011