• In the Spotlight:

Anyone else have a baby that beats them up?

My 11mo I swear hates me!!! She hits me, smacke me with spoons or whatever she can get her hands on. Headbutts me. Bites me. NO ONE ELSE. She is sweet to other women in our family. Even strangers!!!! I love her, and YES she does have her moments where she cuddles with me and gives me kisses, but that's on the calm before the storm.. again!! lol

summerbear

Asked by summerbear at 10:35 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• My daughter is 2 and still occasionally hits me. She was worse about 6 mos ago but I started punishing her every time she did. It really hurts my feelings tho bc I am the only person she does that to, but Like I said it has gotten a lot better lately. Good luck... our joke around the house is " where is the parental abuse hotline"! Good luck! :)
    ksmommy09

Answer by ksmommy09 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• You need to set the precedent for discipline now. Just think how she will treat you in a few years. We had to start discipline at 9 mos when my LO started biting and then she moved onto pinching. Neither of these phases lasted to long b/c we took care of them when they started. If she is using utensils in a way that is inappropriate then take them away. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:38 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• lol sounds like you have a little stewie. yes my kids like to think im a jungle gym and climb all over me. my youngest is 2 and she has started to hit and when she does i immediatly tell her no and put her down. she has gotten the hint and doesnt do it nearly as much. as for headbutting we always had a little game and it was like little kisses where we gently put our foreheads together but not a hurting kind of headbutting that comes out of nowhere. you just have to let them know that it hurts and to put them down. they will get the idea.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My son used to be really bad about hitting, IMO he hit because he thought it was funny.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:40 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My son broke my nose with head butts...twice!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:40 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Um, he was only a few months old, so he didn't do it on purpose at all.
    misses_nick

• You need to put a stop to this NOW! can you imagine what she would be like as a teen??

Answer by older at 10:44 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• This I have found is a pretty normal behavior, but when it was happening to me I was worried and embaressed and was looking up baby shrinks. My little rug rat went on a phase like that and I have soothed one or more friend when they were at wits end with similar issues. There are some interesting ideas about this on the blogs put out by The Goddard School which suggest that this out of control behavior is a responsive behavior and a way for kids to try to control their ever changing environment. I don't really know the cause and at that age any reaction, such as ouch just eggs them on. I found that the best thing to do was to say no and then give him no attention for 2-3 minutes after because the action was intended for a reaction. . Even if your first 50 attempts don't work, sooner or later just out of maturity the concept of empathy comes to light and they grow out of it (with encouragement)
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• yeah he did for a period when he was two... i just did it back to him. we arent a spanking household so that scared the living crap out of him.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2011