Motherly instinct.

Do you know of any moms who really have never had it even after they had a child? My brothers ex-wife had 4 babies and not until the 4th (after she was about 3) did it kick in for her. (She only has custody of the 4th)

summerbear

Asked by summerbear at 10:40 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I tell you what... I don't think mine is ever fully intact.. I think worry and guilt and constantly feeling like I don't know what I am doing is there and my son is 3... I am TRYING and love being a mommy and he is my whole world.. but I can't say mine is fully there, it doesn't always have to mean negative... its like everyone tells me to follow my gut if I don't know what to do and follow my instincts and i dont' have any.. I just worry and try everything...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I don't know that I know of anyone personally, but I do know there are women out there who aren't instinctually mothers.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I do know of one mom, who never had it, sad........

Answer by older at 10:42 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Unfortunately, I know a lot of women like this. Most of those openly admit that they don't...and that they don't even like their kids or kids in general. I'm always curious about their decision-making skills...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:43 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I know of two women that don't really have a motherly instinct.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My sister
    She left her 6 month old baby at home alone and went to a bar. The neighbors called the cops because my niece was crying non stop for hours and no one answered the door. The cops found her lying in her bed soaked with spit up,feces,and urine. She was taken away that day. This was in 1987
    She had her son Matthew in 2002. never went to an OB while pregnant. He was born with a staph infection and almost died. She refused to feed him in the hospital and just walked out the door and left him there. He was taken away as well.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Yes, sadly.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:52 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I know one woman who has had 7 kids and it's still not kicked in for her. She's lost custody of all but the last one, and she's only keeping that one because she lives with her MIL who takes care of the child.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:52 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• yes. my sil does not have it. she also does not have custody of her child anymore.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• no.... idk
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:56 AM on Feb. 3, 2011