Better brushing habits for my soon to be 3 yr old?

My son has always had great brshing habits, but lately ive noticed he is merely chewing on his tooth brush, as opposed to actually brushing. He has been doing this so long that he refuses help or to let me do it for him. Any tips to get him back on track without a kicking & screaming fit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not a clue. I still help brush DD's teeth. I let her do it and then I finish it up. At 3, I don't feel that she can do it well enough all on her own.

At one point, I did have to hold her down to brush. After that, she lets me do it when I say.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My son does the same thing! !
    Littleguysmommy

Answer by Littleguysmommy at 11:07 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• hm, tough one. i guess just being consistent with it might be the best thing. my 4 year old is great with it, and has been able to do it by herself since she was 2. we just visited the dentist last week and she is cavity-free! my 2 year old, on the other hand, flat out REFUSES to let me help her, she wants to do it by herself (like her big sis does) only she doesnt really do it correctly. maybe brushing with him, showing him how its really done, so he can copy you? in any case, keep letting him practice everyday and just be consistent with it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• try brushing your teeth with him while hes brushing his it works 4 my 21/2 year old
    sophia237

Answer by sophia237 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2011