More of a vent about ADHD...

If anyone wants to know what it's really like dealing with a child with ADHD then hear me out. Everyday I wonder whether or not I will be receiving a phone call from the school telling me that my child's behavior is out of control and being asked whether or not I put on my son's medicated patch.

I am so sick of this..no one wants to have anything to do with him unless things go smooth. I had to take him home last week because I'd forgotten to put his patch on which takes two hours to settle in anyways...so I just put it on and kept him home.

I'd like to hear from other parents with children diagnosed ADHD what struggles you are facing. I'm tired of feeling alone and judged from other parents who simply don't have a clue.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I have to say I get so frustrated when people make comments about ADHD when it's obvious they have no experience with it. I home school, so I don't have to deal with school now, but I remember when he had a bad day when he went to school and people asked if "he had his meds" (which makes me angry because they would know for sure if I hadn't!!) I completely understand your frustration with being judged. I have learned to ignore those kinds of people as they do nothing to enrich my life. Hang in there!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I'm so sorry... my son is only 3 but my husband and I both have mild forms of ADHD And we already see there is a very high chance of ADHD for our son.. HUGS!!! I know you aren't alone though.. I am sure it feels like it though!! Have you considered complete diet changes along with Meds? taking all perservitive and dyes out?? I have a great website I just got if you want it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• not my child, but my nephew. He's 25 now, but I remember when he was a kid. Actually, sis and I were the only ones that would take care of him, everyone else didn't want to help because he was such a handful. To this day, his ignorant father says there is no such a thing as ADHD, that's just something the doctor made up to make sis feel better about her lack of parenting skills and to charge her for the visits. Yes, to this day, he says that. Oh, and if a thing such as ADHD did in fact extist, the kid would have it just because of my sister's bad genes (we are adopted, so "who knows what kind of genes we really have". All I can say is things are much more difficult when people around you, who are supposed to support you, don't even believe you have a problem (other than you can't discipline your child, of course). Back then there was just medication and TONS of exercise: swimming, soccer, track. ((hugs))
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 11:07 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• When my son was 3, now 12, I thought he was going to get kicked out of day care because of his impulsivity. He was in the town's pre-K program for other reasons and the school counselor observed him in daycare and pre-K. They said he was ADHD. We took him to a pediatric neurologist who agreed and we put him on medication. He is so much better!!!! My now 14 year old daughter also has ADHD but at the other end of the spectrum, inattentive. We didn't get her diagnosed until 1st grade. There is a national organization called CHADD, children and adults with ADD. Check them out. They have local groups all over the country and their meetings are very informative. They have experts to talk to. Check out my homepage and contact me.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:10 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I'm dealing with the same thing. Although, we don't gets calls on a regular basis. I got sick and tired of the school calling and asking if I gave him his med. I'm not stupid! Yes, there were days I'd forget to give it to him. But it wasn't a regular thing! Plus, he sometimes doesn't take it. Like I would give it to him and he would act like he took it and throw it on the floor, put it in his pocket so he could throw it away or something. So now we check him and make sure he takes it. So now the school gives him his morning meds. Anywho, we can't go anywhere with him without him showing off and getting an attitude about anything. You tell him something that he doesn't like and he gets all mad and has to ruin the trip for everyone else! It's so frustrating! Most of the time we don't go anywhere bc of this. We can't go to the store without him showing off and getting into trouble. He won't keep his hands off of stuff
    bcbmami

Answer by bcbmami at 11:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I just want to let you know that as a SO of man with SEVERE ADHD that there is a chance for him to have a happy healthy life. My SO stopped taking his meds on his own at 16 b/c he didn't like the way they made him feel. I think he needs something at 31 but he manages to get by with strict schedules that help him stay in the right track. His mother wanted to kill him many days (her words not mine) and she was a psych major in college so that helped her deal with him. Just remember that he is the same as any other kid just with extra uncontrolled impulse control and wild thoughts in his head. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• cont'
    and he's been known to steal! We have to tell him multiple times to keep his hands to himself or to stop messing around. And of course he gets mad and makes it worse! He also argues, and yells at me and his dad. UGH! He's mean all the time and doesn't know how to talk with out yelling or talking like a baby it seems.(he's 9) His mom treats him like a baby so he thinks he has to talk like one, he acts like one too when he's angry. So just know that you are not alone! *HUGS*
    bcbmami

Answer by bcbmami at 11:20 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Maybe you could try homeschooling him. You as a parent know your childs strengths and weaknesses better and care about your child more than public school officials ever will.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 11:05 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• The school shouldn't have to put up with your child's disruptive behavior. It's not fair to the other students. Pull him out and homeschool him. You will probably find that his "adhd" isn't as bad as the school says it is. They stick these kids behind a desk for 7 plus hours a day and expect them to sit quietly. That is ludicrous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• cont
    and he's been known to steal. We have to tell him multiple times to stop messing around and keep his hands to himself and he don't listen. Then he gets angry when he gets in trouble and he just gets worse and makes everyone suffer. He's mean and doesn't know how to talk normal. He's either yelling or talking like a baby(he's 9). He even acts like a baby when he gets mad! His mom treats him like a baby so he thinks it's okay to act and talk like one! He yells and argues with me and his dad too. We are really struggling with him so just know that you are NOT alone! **HUGS**
    bcbmami

Answer by bcbmami at 11:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2011