If you had to flee your homeland...

Where would you go? How would you get there? Would you risk death waiting to escape legally? How would you want to be treated when you arrived at your safe destination? What would you tell your children?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 11:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I honestly have no idea, guess I need a plan, huh?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I had to do just that, I was born in Cuba, came here with my parents at the onset of Castro's regime, I was 9 years old and not much was explained to me, but we left in a hurry and in a hush hush mode, my father was in the military of Batista. We arrived in Miami, in 1960, and adapted well, most children will adapt well at this age. I have seen many families risk death in the Florida straits fleeing this oppressive regime, some have made it and there are a lot of those who haven't.  Sadly enough the regime has made families split as a punishment for fleeing, I myself have family there whom I have never met.

Answer by older at 11:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Interesting older, Glad you made it out. Wish the rest of Cuba could do the same.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Ladies, my story had a happy ending, there are so many Cubans living in hell right now and for the last 50 years. We still see here and there stories of rafters, their ingenuity to create a floating device is outstanding, there is a museum here in Miami, with some of the devices recovered from the sea. I remember seeing a floating 56 Chevy converted into a boat once, and I was in awe of their ingenuity!

Carpy, I wish the rest of Cuba could too, but you would be surprised at the many individuals who actually love Castro and would never even try to flee, these are the ones who were born during the take of the country and have lived being brain washed since then. 50 years is a lifetime!

Answer by older at 12:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• If I had to flee the US, I would probably go to Australia. I am not sure how I would get there, probably so sort of cargo ship to somewhere safe and then a flight? If it was bad enough that I needed to escape, I would risk death but not to legally escape. I would want to be treated kindly, as everyone does. I would tell my children the truth, as I think it is the best way to go, always
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 11:10 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would head up to Canada. From the US it is an easy place to get to safely. If it was just me I may risk my life to wait for a legal way to get out, but since I have children to think about I would not risk their lives to wait.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• We would likely go to Ireland. My husband and kids have dual citizenship and carry both USA and EU passports.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Whichever place had the least restrictive immigration laws (or the most lenient refugee status requirements) and was easiest to adapt. From here that could be Canada, but would more likely be one of the Carribean islands. Possibly Costa Rica. This assumes the goal was really survival and a place to start over a legitimate life, not the easiest free ride to be scammed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:38 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• New Zealand. I even have an idea of what I'd take with me.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 12:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• "I had to do just that, I was born in Cuba, came here with my parents at the onset of Castro's regime, I was 9 years old and not much was explained to me, but we left in a hurry and in a hush hush mode, my father was in the military of Batista. We arrived in Miami, in 1960, and adapted well, most children will adapt well at this age. I have seen many families risk death in the Florida straits fleeing this oppressive regime, some have made it and there are a lot of those who haven't. Sadly enough the regime has made families split as a punishment for fleeing, I myself have family there whom I have never met."

Wow, I am amazed at your story. I used to live in Miami and I often heard news reports about rafters being picked up fleeing Cuba.

tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 12:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2011