Tax returns...

Normally I'm excited when we get our tax returns back. Don't get me wrong, I love getting the money! This year, it's kind of like "Well, let's see how long we can manage to hold onto it to cover our bills." We can't even afford to pay the big bills with it yet, because it's going towards keeping our mortgage paid (what my paycheck doesn't cover). If DH was working, we'd definitely use it to make a debt into some of the bigger bills. If we didn't have this to worry about, we could use some of it to take a vacation or something, LOL.

Glad we're getting it though. Anyone else kind of feeling funked out?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• Were getting a good amount back BUT it depresses me because the only reason we are is my DH was out of work so long. We went through our savings, 401k and he had unemployment for all that time before finding a new job. I now have to pay down bills, fix his car, get one for me, and try and put back some into the savings account that went down to nothing because of his lay off before. When I look at it that way it makes me depressed. Id rather have a smaller return if I had our old savings.

Answer by gemgem at 4:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i was sahm this year, left my SO a few months ago
    he will be getting 1000 for our child in taxes, and he pays no child support yet (still in wait for court date)
    he did give 80 bucks and a package of diapers to me when he visited her last October

would think that the 1000 should go to support his child, but i did not work, so he will use her ss number to get this money
    he bought a 55 inch high def flat screen tv, i am living off my mother until i can get daughter into daycare fulltime (she has autism, so not ready for this situation..yet-fingers crossed adn praying she will be able to handle in year)

yes, some money from taxes would be nice to help with bills, no vacation anytime soon, vacation is taking a shower without interruption-lol
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:10 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I'm sorry.. we are using ALL of ours to pay off credit card debt because both of our vehicles broke at the SAME TIME.. 3 months in a row totalling $5000 ugh..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:10 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I am definitely not in the best mood this year. Everything was going along fine then our furnace gave out so we get to use at least half, if not more of our refund, to replace it. I'm thrilled to have the money to do that but we were going to pay off our debt. It makes me a little sick to know that we could actually pay off all but two of our debts if not for having to buy a new furnace.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• fiatpax, the good news is that when the support order is finalized, it will be backdated to the date you filed. So he will owe you for all this time. If I were him I wouldn't give you cash right now either, because he is still going to owe that full amount later. Perhaps he could give it through the courts so it counts as child support, maybe that will get him to put out a bit more.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• OP if you're worried about blowing it sit down and make a list of necessities:
    Food
    Utilities
    Mortgage
    Insurance
    Fuel
    TOTAL:

So say your total is $1500 and you're getting $4500 back. Then divide your tax refund up into 'months.' This $1500 is for necessities in February, this ones for March etc. That way you don't blow it on little things like eating out etc. Which is a lot easier to do when you're depressed- and they really do add up fast.

Good luck. I hope things get better for you soon!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• We're using some of it to take a trip to Boston & Cape cod in May. The rest will be going towards fixing the Jeep.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• yeah we are facing foreclosure so our money will be going to deposits on an apartment. (our mortgage is to high since DH hlost his job and is now getting paid way less) Not exciting but thankfully we will have it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I feel the same way...it's all going to stuff we need, and have needed for A WHILE. I wish I could pay of some debt but we can't even cover our bills...we're struggling really bad. People have helped us, but until we can get the hours at work or better jobs we're just stuck where we're stuck.
    Anonymous

• Ouch ladies, sorry to hear that! I wish we could at least use the money to pay off our credit card debt. We had to go into debt for that because we needed to be able to buy groceries and pay bills that my paycheck didn't cover (DH has been out of work since 2009). It's frustrating because even when he does finally go back to work, it will be awhile before our heads get above the water again.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2011