How should I potty train?

My son is 20mths and has been ready since about 15mths. However he is just not progressing. When I broke him from the bottle I had to just take it he wouldnt ween off. He is a cold turkey type kid. Going from baby food to table food as soon as he had table food he refused all baby food. And he got sick once and I had to give him baby food for a week and then he didnt want table food. What do I do about potty training he is soooo close to 2yrs old and I do not want him still dependent on pull ups when he hits 2.

Pink_caffiene

Asked by Pink_caffiene at 11:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• some kids dont potty train til theyre 4, so if hes not doing it by 2 yet thats completely normal.

what signs of readiness is he showing you?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• He tells you he has to go, tells you after he has went, and holds it.
    Pink_caffiene

Comment by Pink_caffiene (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• you could try taking him to the potty every 30 minutes or so and let him sit there for about 5-10 minutes. give him some kind of reward/praise regardless of whether or not he went. my middle dd is about to turn 26 months, and this is what im doing with her. her reward system is goldfish crackers, i give her one for trying, 2 for a pee and 3 for poop. although, she hasnt done ANYTHING on the potty yet. but taking her consistently, and praising her each time, is a learning process. i dont think she will be fully trained until shes closer to 3.

some parents also try the "3 day method" which is basically just putting them in big kid panties all day, no diapers or pullups, i dont know much about the method but you can google it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• im living with my mom i think she may kill me if he pees in her carpet lol
    Pink_caffiene

Comment by Pink_caffiene (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• You need to make sure HE is READY for potty training. If you try and make him do it to early it will take even longer for him to be completly potty training. I have a potty training blog, http://adventures-in-pottytraining.blogspot.com/ that explains all the signs of readiness, how to prepare, and more. Take a look at it if you would like. Hope this helps!
    HeatherRS

Answer by HeatherRS at 12:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• if you don't want pee on the floor they have some plastic underwear. also try to get underwear that has characters on them so they wont want to get them dirty
    Candie2008

Answer by Candie2008 at 2:05 AM on Feb. 4, 2011