What do you do when you hate your job but can't afford to quit?

I am self-employed and run an in-home licensed daycare. I really really hate my job. I have 6 kids in my daycare. I hate the fact that my house no longer feels like my house because I have parents and children and dhs (for licensing) always in my house. I can't decroate the way I want because the kids will destroy anything within reach. I am stuck at home all day. I never can make appointments or take off work without feeling guilty because of the parents constant complaining. Even though I have only taken 4 days off last year besides holidays. I refuse to hire someone to help me because then I wouldn't make any money and also I don't want anyone in my home if I need to take off, I want to be in my own home alone if I get a free day so I can relax. When they go home at night and on weekends I keep my blinds shut because I feel like I have no privacy. I work from 7:15am to 5:30 pm and they are long days. At the end of the day I just want everyone to go home. The kids scream and drive me insane all day. I am tired to listening to all the parents sobb stories about how they can't afford to pay or can they be late this week because they have bills. What do they think I do this for? The only break time I get is at nap and thats if everyone goes to sleep and if everyone does go to sleep then I'll wind up having a parent come in the middle of nap and wake everybody up.

The only thing I like ablout my job is the fact that if my kids are sick or out of school I don't have to worry about somebody to watch them because I am always at home. However I do have to worry about someone to pick them up from school if there sick because I can't leave. I want to quit and get another job so bad. I hate it here and I feel like I don't spend enough time with my own kids or that I get aggravated with them to easy because of the daycare kids. I would go out and find another job but I can't afford too. There is no way I could find a job anywhere that would pay me what I make doing daycare. I'd be lucky to find a job that paid me half as much. I have tried to find ways of cutting back on the bills but I can't cut back more than I already have. What would you do? Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• I work from home as well but not doing a daycare. I think you need to find something to do ASAP. I know that when you aren't happy doing something, it does come out in the way you feel and your attitude. So if you aren't showing it with the other kids just yet, it will happen eventually. I'm trying to no be harsh because I can see where you are coming from. ;o) That's why I decided against a home daycare. You deserve to enjoy your own children and if this is hampering with those feelings, it's best to let the daycare go.

Good Luck hun and I hope you can find something soon!! ;o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 11:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• This is exactly why I never want to run a daycare. My suggestion for you is to keep on looking for a new job. You have experience as a business owners so that should look good on your resume. There aren't a lot of jobs out there right now so just keep on trying.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• If it's that stressful I'd start looking into what you would want to do. Give the parents a good amount of notice, I'd give 30 days. In the meantime look into other things you enjoy where you can still work from home. In Home Daycare providers tend to make good money so you have to ask yourself if less money is something you can afford right now.

For example I sell on ebay and I manage our carpet cleaning business from home. I shop once every two weeks or so at thrift stores, yard sales or consignment shops for name brand kids and adult clothes, toys, collectibles, anything I think will sell. And spend maybe 10 hours a week taking pics, listing, packaging and mailing. And if I list 10-20 things a week I tend to make anywhere from $100-$150 in profit a week. You could try something similiar but do it on a larger scale and make more.

At my personal peak I made $500-$600 a week, but that was before kids!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Anon

Look I never said I hate the kids the worst thing I said about the kids is that they drive me insane. Are you so perfect that you never get stressed out with your own kids much less somebody else's? Give me a break. Why don't you try doing my job and see how you would feel before you go off on me. I am good to the kids I keep I am just really tired of having no privacy, no breaks, and no respect.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• " I hate it here and I feel like I don't spend enough time with my own kids or that I get aggravated with them to easy because of the daycare kids."

If you are getting aggrivated to easily with your own kids, you are most certainly doing it to the daycare kids. I think you need to find replacement income ASAP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Ya, I do get aggravated with my own kids to easy because of the stress of the daycare. It doesn't mean that I lash out at them. You can be aggravated about something without doing anything. Do you never get aggravated with your kids? Do you never have stress where you just want to be alone?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Thanks Mom2Jack04

I may try to check into that. I have sold on Ebay before but only for my own personal items. I can't go on Friday but I could hit yard sales on Saturday.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Well get started with things your own family has outgrown then for now work on inventory and slowly growing it while making the transition from the daycare being open to not being open.....if you start slow now when you do stop the at home daycare you can go full force into it and not have to wait until the daycare is done.

Good Luck to you. I need to find more time to list more, but with a 1 year old and using her nap time for exercise and lunch I don't find the time much right now. But even in a few things i'm currently listing i'm still doing $75 or so a week
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• How is your jobsearch going?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Wow I'm really glad you're not my kid's day care provider!! I wonder what the parents of the children you care for would think if they knew this? I really think you need to quit. Caring for children has to be something you LOVE to do. I think that's just wrong, sorry. Find another job. If you can't afford to, get on welfare. Don't agree to care for someone's child if you hate it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2011