What is the best way to establish some sort of sleep/feed schedule with my new born?

She is not even a week old yet. I feel as though she is using me as a human pacifier. She will feed for 45 minutes sometimes, fall asleep, then wake up an hour later and can not be satisfied by anything but me. We aren't using pacifiers, but I need to find away for her to not "use" me when she isn't hungry. Help please!

Reganc

Asked by Reganc at 10:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• from what you are describing its very likely that she is hungry....for the first few weeks of Jamie's life i was feeding him every 90 minutes...that's from start of one feeding to start of next feeding...at this point in her life all she knows is you...your heartbeat, smell, voice...all of it...from what i understand they dont really understand that they are a separate person from you until 6 ish months...
    its really hard if not impossible to establish a schedule for a child that young...they dont get day vs. night...light vs dark...none of it means anything to them...the first months are tough but it does even out...you really are their beck and call girl for a few weeks....but hang in there...its totally worth it and does get better...
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 10:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• If you are solely nursing, that's how it's going to be for the 1st month or so until she gets into a routine. Remember that she has a very teeny tummy and can't hold much food in it yet! I was told to nurse on demand when my baby was that young... it seemed like I was feeding her every 30-60 minutes sometimes! Hang in there!
    TinaBeena1216

Answer by TinaBeena1216 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• she is eating b/c she is trying to pack on the wheight to want her on a sleep and eat schedule right now is un realistic. she needs the calories. i would say up untill 2-3 months to feed on demand. that means when she wants it as many times as she wants it. then you can try to figure a shceduke i have an 11 month old and i still nurse on demand. though its not very often anymore. and don't be surprised if it takes a long time for her to sleep through the night. breastmilk is easily digested so they eat more often. i have alot of breastfeeding knowledge if you need any advice anytime i would be more than happy to help. just pm me and i will answer as soon as i can
    masonelismom

Answer by masonelismom at 11:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about schedules at this point. Feeding on demand is always best, and will help your baby to gain the weight she needs, and get the nutrients, among other things.

When people start trying to space out feedings, and put a baby on their schedule, it usually leads to problems with milk supply and baby not growing as fast as she could...and then doc will tell you to supplement with formula, and on and on.

My son was attached 24/7 in the very beginning, and tripled his birthweight by 4 months...LOL. It does get better though, and they can go for longer periods of time without feeding.

MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 1:05 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Good luck with a schedule at this young an age!! As a mommy to 2 kids, neither one was really able to be put on what I consider a schedule till about 6 months. It's more you adjusting to their needs in the beginning. At about month 3 you may notice them developing a pattern that is easier to take as the feedings will be fewer.
    Good luck!!
    mandidandy

Answer by mandidandy at 1:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Is your baby eating the whole time she nurses, or is she suckling part of the time? I noticed my daughter tends to “suckle” me, so we decided to try a pacifier. After reading a lot of different sources we decided a pacifier is not the evil that many people say it is. Babies are soothed by sucking, and some have a more intense sucking need than others. As long as you aren't depending on it for an escape, pacifiers do not tend to become a dependency. Also, as long as use is discontinued by age 1 or so, pacifiers present no dental problems. There's 2 kinds of pacifiers I have found. "Soothies" by The First Years and Gerber's Natural Flex...both provide very wide nipples so that it doesn't interfere with breastfeeding latch. My daughter won't take them very often, but sometimes when I notice she is just in the mood to suck, I can manage to "trick" her by quickly replacing my nipple with the binky. A few nights the pacifier was able to help me get a little more sleep.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:32 AM on Jul. 9, 2008