is this normal?? bf moms

im bf and today i woke up with a sore and lumpy boob. i tried massaging and feeding with this one and still no relief....

EliannasMama

Asked by EliannasMama at 11:53 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Health

• could be a clogged duct.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:54 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would make a doctor appointment.
    jenelle79

Answer by jenelle79 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• When that happened to me, I ended up pumping and once I got done, there was relief.

How old is your baby? I noticed that they lumpy feeling seemed to go away after about 2 months when my milk regulated out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Is there any redness or warmth to it? if so I would call the doc.

otherwise,I would just keep trying to feed or pump to see if it stops.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Sounds like a clogged milk duct. Put warm compresses on it, and keep massaging it. If you can't get it worked out, call your doctor. The last thing you it to turn into is mastitis. I had a clogged duct once when I was nursing my youngest. It hurt!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Unless you develop a fever, or have visible redness on your breast where the lump is, no need to make an appointment.

A) take as hot a shower as you can stand, and let the water run on your breast while massaging the lump- Pump or hand express while in the shower, focusing on the sore spot.
    B) nurse frequently on that side, massage the area while you do. A baby is THE best thing to suck out a slightly clogged duct.
    C) make sure that your bras fit properly!!! Go to a licensed Medela retailer for a firring (free). Ill fitted bras cause most duct clogs.
    D) hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!!
    E) tons of skin time, release that prolactin! snuggle skin to skin with your little one.
    F) if you DO make an appointment, make it with a LC ***NOT*** a physician, you will be advised by an MD to stop nursing and take antibiotics.

Luck to you, I know it hurts, but its not uncommon. Nurse more frequently to help prevent it again.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I won't retype it as obbydobbie said it wonderfully. It is a very normal part of nursing and happens to some women more often then others.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Another thing not mentioned - hold baby in a different position to nurse - sometimes latch can block 1 duct from draining, and trying a different hold will change the latch position - I had that problem big time - I always had to change positions to make sure everything drained evenly!
    Anonymous