What do you do when you realize you've left the keys inside the house?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I never had this problem until my two year old locked me out of the house at 11pm while I was walking the dog. I couldn't reach the window.. and he'd locked the deadbolt. I stood outside the door and screamed at him to open it. I tried bribing him with a pop, with cake, candy, all kinds of things. He just sat inside and laughed. When he finally did open it, I yelled at him for locking mommy out, and told him never to touch the door again without an adult's permission. He sat in his room and cried for quite a while.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 12:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I never lock my doors (unless we're going on vacation), so it's not a problem.

Answer by missanc at 12:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I try getting in through a window, or call my children for a key.

Answer by older at 12:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Call one of the people that has a set to the house.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• crawl through a window lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i have a spare outside for that very reason.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• We have push button locks - so no worries if we don't have a key, we don't need one! Much easier than giving the kids each a key, they just have to remember the combination, and we can change it any time we want or need to. The one time we did misplace the keys, prior to getting the push button lock, DH realized the door was put on backwards - the hinges are on the outside, so he got a crowbar and pulled the hinge pins and pried the door out of the frame, unlocked the door and put it back on. Our other option would have been to call my dad, who is a locksmith (it's usually cheaper to call a locksmith than replace a busted window, fwiw).
    Anonymous

• We do not lock our doors either, so it is never an issue.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Our doors don't lock automatically (and there is usually one left open anyway) so I just go back in. Unless I am going for a walk for exercise, I have to have my keys with me for the car. Nothing much is in walking distance around here.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Bisket - you left your obviously awake 2 year old alone in the house while you took the dog for a walk?
    Anonymous