Cat and dog hair loss

So it's a weird situation. Bot my cat and dog are experiencing hair loss. The only difference is my dog seems to be itchy and her skin is real flaky. The cat just has random hair loss. This can't be a coincidence, right? I don't know what it is. They both had fleas over the summer, but that is gone now. Any ideas?

Roisin07

Asked by Roisin07 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Pets

• shedding because we have the heat up do to cold weather itching dog probably has dry skin
    nettalou

Answer by nettalou at 12:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• this isn't normal shedding. they both have areas of baldness. It isn't normal at all. Thank you for your answer. -- And before anyone says go to the vet; Don't worry, we will. The point of this answers section is to get general advice:)
    Roisin07

Comment by Roisin07 (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Could be food/environmental allergies. What do you feed them?
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• The dog eats can alpo. The only thing I can get her to eat. and kitty eats friskies I believe!
    Roisin07

Comment by Roisin07 (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Those 2 foods are loaded with corn and other unnatural things for cats and dogs so I would definitely suspect food allergies. You might want to check out www.dogfoodadviser.com for a higher quality food.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 7:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Parasite maybe? Those can make fur fall out and make them itchy. Definitely a vet question for sure though.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 7:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Since both animals have hair loss, and there is scratching/itching involved with your dog, I am led to believe that it is either mites or ringworm, which is fungal. Some dogs have mites that are not contagious to humans, but they do not usually itch. Those mites also cause hair loss. The mites that cause itching are the ones that are associated with Mange.

Are the bald spots on legs, elbows and ears? or along the dog's upper body and back? The mites cause hair loss on the legs and ears most often.

Ringworm is usually circular spots of hair loss.

Although, if you are using frontline or certain other brands of top spot flea preventatives (not all brands) that usually protects the dogs from scabies, the bad mites.

It might be a food allergy, but if you haven't changed foods, that is not as likely. Cats often exhibit food allergies on their face and heads first. Usually being an operative word!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:24 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• ....I would confine these pets to a laundry room or area that you can easily bleach and disinfect, in case it is the scabies mites or the ringworm. Wash your hands carefully after handling the animals and wash any of their bedding in hot water. I don't want to alarm you, once you get to the vet you'll be able to medicate them and be okay. In the meantime just be careful in case it is mites or ringworm as both can go to humans, particularly if it is ringworm...not a worm, but a fungal infection!

Good luck...and maybe it is just a bad case of allergies! Fingers crossed!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• mange for the dog? not sure if cats can get it.
    but def sounds like something that both have come in contact with.
    i would go to the vet. theyre gonna know better than any of us on here gl
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Cats/dogs CAN develope allergies to things they have been continually exposed to so even if you've always fed those foods, they can still become allergic to them. Even if it isn't allergies to their food, I would still advise you get them on something of better quality. All it takes is a little research to see that those foods are NOT good quality.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:30 AM on Feb. 5, 2011