A father has passed leaving a will: two daughters get the house. Daughters want to sell the house to divide the profits but Mom doesn't want to move out. Should daughters respect mother's wishes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• It depends on the laws of the state because if this happened in my state if mom had been there for five days she would have squatters rights regardless of the will. She'd have to be legally evicted. But I personally think that that's just wrong. If that was her home leave her alone. I hate what inheritance does to people.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Why wasn't the mom left the house? And why would the daughters want to sell it for money knowing their mom lives there? It doesn't sound like anyone has the mom's needs on their priority list- which is sad.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Sounds like more to the story. It is possible that the father left the house to the daughters assuming they would never kick Mom out and did it in lieu of a trust so this asset wouldn't go to elder care facilities. Regardless of whether Mom is tyrant and may have earned being in this predicament or if she was a saint, she is certainly an important part of the equation and even bad tenants have rights. Homes do not just have financial value so I would say that the best and nicest thing to do would be to let Mom stay as long as its financial feasible to maintain the house. Even from an investment stand point, the daughters will profit more if they wait until later to sell as opposed to selling in a down market. Sounds like a big mess with lots of emotional baggage that comes with death. I always find it tragic when people equate death with opportunity.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Um, yes. Legally I suppose they could do what they want but anyone with a heart wouldn't kick their mom out after her husband died just so they could get money out of it. How sad.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Id leave my mom in the house until she passed away then decide if we wanted to sell.

Answer by gemgem at 12:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I think if mom wants to stay in the house, she should be responsible for paying taxes on it, upkeep, etc. The daughters own the house, but there isn't any reason to kick their mom out. When mom passes away, or decides to move somewhere else, the girls will still have the house to sell. I think as long as upkeep/repairs and taxes are paid on the house, the girls shouldn't make their mom move out.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Absolutely!!! Who would kick their mother out of her house?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I feel like we are missing some information. Why didn't the house go to Mom in the first place? That seems really strange.
    Anonymous

• yes they should. my dad is leaving the house we grew up in in my brother and my name. if he dies tomorrow, i'm not going to tell my mom (who's lived there 21 years) to move out because i want the money.
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• yes.
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2011