does anyone know what is the right way to dicapline an aultistic child. he is 4 and it is mild i dnt know a lot about it but i dont know what is aultistic behavior and what is just his age

babygirll8892

Asked by babygirll8892 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Age of child?
    Was what they did BECAUSE of their disability,or just being naughty?
    We have an autistic child. We redirected him. When he was around 6,we were able to take things away to disipline him.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• You don't mention the level of autism, but I see you list Asperger's in your profile. This might help:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Aspergers-and-Discipline---Real-Strategies-to-Deal-With-Aspergers-Behavior&id=1222966

Answer by gdiamante at 12:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Like with any other child, the way to discipline will vary by the circumstance and the child's level of understanding combined with his typical behaviors...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• We use a very visual, concrete behavior chart. Something like 3 strikes and he loses whatever - you make a large chart with 3 boxes (you may need to start with more), each time he crosses the line he gets an X. When it gets full, then he loses whatever privilege (screen time, favorite toy, etc.). You could also do a good behavior chart, where you make a large chart with 5 boxes, or 10, and when he's being good you put a check mark in the box. When he gets so many checks, there is a picture of his "reward" on it (fave video, special snack, etc.)
    The more visual you can make his discipline, the more effective it will be.

Answer by missanc at 1:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My oldest has high functioning autism and I treat him just like I do his "normal" siblings..... I don't let him use the "but I have Autism" as an excuse to mis-behave or get away with things. I use a warning system- 1, 2 warnings and #3 is consequence (like loosing X-box/computer use). I have also used time-outs, grounding, at times as well. I also make sure to talk to my child and let him know what he did and why he got a consequence.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I have a 7 year old with hi functioning autism he has very bad tantrums sometimes i have found that brushing his limbs arms and legs with a surgical brush only down never up will help him calm down and when hes just upset or being rowdy i push each of he joints 2gether 8 to 10 times each pressure will depend on your child my child has a sensory disorder from the autism which makes him like to cause himself pain so when hes doin that ill stop him and do the joint compressions u can utube how to do it. His teacher who has an autistic child told me about this and it works awsome now he asks me to do it when hes sad and dont know y. also wrapping in a blanket and squeezing fairly tightly seems to help also. hope this helps good luck
    Hbabygirl476

Answer by Hbabygirl476 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2011