Sexual Assault

In your opinion, why do you think this is such a major crime that is still hidden in the dark? Do you think victims are ever at fault for the attack?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 1:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• sometimes they can be
    Anonymous

• I don't care if you are piss ass drunk, dancing naked at a party, or even being a tease. If you said no, the answer was NO and the absolute ONLY PERSON AT FAULT IS THE ONE WHO VIOLATED YOU. Period.
    Humans have this incredible thing called self control. They know how to use it. It is NEVER someone else's fault for a human deciding to behave badly.

Anon- I was raped by an ex boyfriend when I was 14. I was alone with him, does that make it my fault that he raped me? What about my best friend who was picked up while walking home from work (by someone she knew!), driven out on a back road, raped, and left there? Her fault for walking alone? For letting someone she knew pick her up? Hmm?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Reminds me of that movie with Jodie Foster...

NO I do not feel a man has any "rights" to assault a woman, no matter how provocative she may be. No means no and if she was unconscious or drunk, that's no excuse either.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 3:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I think the victim/survivor can feel ashamed & not sure if he/she will be believed. It's sad that anyone should ever have to endure this crime & I think the punishments for the offenders should be more severe. (I also think that people who have accused famous people of such a crime are always doubted b/c of the other persons status)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I don't think victims are ever at fault, and it is the stigma of shame that keeps it hidden.

Answer by older at 1:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2011