Do you think wikileaks contributed to the current problems in the middle east?

Thinking specifically about the dump of ambassadorial communications, but there have been other things included, too, like intelligence on operations in Afghanistan and names of informers.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• not sure, but I don't think so. Poverty and a dictator that changed the Constitution seems to have stirred the people,,,,,

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• No................I think the gov't did. Wikileaks just blew up their spot.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Possibly and I agree with sweet. Their level of poverty and oppression had gone too far, they had good reason to revolt!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I believe it did not help.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 2:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• It probably contributed to it some.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I don't think I saw anything having to do with Egypt on Wiki. I don't really think it did.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I'm not sure; mostly because I only know a little about what was leaked in relation to Egypt. I don't think that it would have been the cause of what's happening--I'm sure it's been building for years, but it may have contributed some. I'm pretty sure a revolt, especially among the young people of the country, was stirring and may have happened eventually no matter what. I just hope they don't end up with something even worse than they already had.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Not at all. The vast majority of Egyptians are too concerned with their poverty and how to put meals on the table to care about Wikileaks .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• The vast majority of Egyptians are too concerned with their poverty and how to put meals on the table to care about Wikileaks .

It's Egypt, not Haiti. The majority of Egyptians are not impoverished, and these protests and uprisings were organized via the internet. That's why one of the very first priorities of the government was to cut all internet access to try and kill their communication. This is not a bunch of farmers rising up with pitchforks, it's a very wired and educated generation rebelling against their elders, only on a far more violent and massive scale. It's more analogous to China.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2011