Washing Hair

My son briefly had a fear of taking a bath...We have gotten him over this, but he still FREAKS OUT when we need to wash his hair. I think he is afraid of the water going in his face. Due to this, I have had to wash his hair just using a washcloth for a while. I want to get out of this cycle, but I can't figure out how. Any ideas?

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My ds hates to have his hair washed. I will strip down and get in the tub with him (he's 2) and will let him 'wash' my hair and dump the water over my head to show him that it's fun. He gets to help Mama clean her hair and see that everything is fine. We also laugh and splash and have a good time.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 3:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would have him hold a washcloth over his face and tell him to "protect" his eyes....he needs to learn that it's just water...they sell those bucket looking things that have a soft edge that form to their forehead so water just goes back...you could give that a try...or try just splashing around with him and show him that water won't hurt him.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Try to make a game out of it he might like that.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Have you seen the special pitchers with the foam side? They are specifically for this purpose. Your son leans his head back. The foam conforms to his forehead and keeps the water from going in his face while you get his hair wet or rinse.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• with my girls I lay them down on kitchen cabinet and wash their hair in the sinks like the salons do
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I have one of those buckets, but he starts screaming the second we lean him back...
    TitusMom7

Comment by TitusMom7 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2011