Are dentists assistants aware of this safety issue?

When was the last time you had an x-ray at the dentist. Did they ask you to wear a special gown to protect you from the x-rays they they cover your neck too? Some dentists assistant do not use the thyroid protector of the special gown.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Health

• As a former dental assistant I can tell you that the Dentist/staff are REQUIRED to put the lead apron on the patient EVERY time they take an xray. Some aprons have the thyroid collar while some aprons do not and the collar is a separate piece. As for the Assistant/Hygienist and DDS, most of the time they step out of the room when they take the xray- and don't need to wear the protective lead gear.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I just went and they put one on me ad you are right the assistant did not wear one either.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• everyone that works with xrays are given the opportunity to wear a thyroid shield...many just do not choose to wear it, b/c they don't realize that the risk of thyroid cancer from xray is worse than any other...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would assume at the dentist they put a gown on you because they are aiming the beam at you. The dental assistant is behind the machine and not in any danger of being hit by the Radiograph machines scatter. I work for a vet and I am often in the way of the beam or in direct danger of being hit by the scatter I am required to wear a gown, thyroid shield and leaded gloves.
    Anonymous

• at my dentist the assistant positions everything right on me and then goes around the corner with the cord to press the button to take the xray. had a few done and they have done this everyt time so far
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2011