At what age did you/do you plan to take sippy?

My DD is almost 3 and we decided today to start her on regular cups filled a little but kept at the table. What do you guys think?

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 1:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• By 2 (unless with a sippy straw for travel). ALL drinks must stay on our table, no food or drinks anywhere but in the dining room/kitchen.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• We do that for our 3 year old.. and have been sicne he's 2. it works good
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My sons been able to drink out of regular cups since he was a year and a half. He still has sippy cups on car rides.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My daughter has been using regular sups since she was about 2 for meals. Between meals and in the car is still a straw or sippy cup. That applies to my 6 year old as well. Any drink that will not be at the table has to have a lid even if it's just water. I think your daughter at 3 will do just fine with an open cup. You can buy small ones at wal-mart made by sassy that I just love for little hands.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My son has always practiced with open cups, even when he was a year and we would hold them. Now at 28 months he gets open cups (filled only a small amount) at the table, but he's only allowed to drink at the table anyway. When we are going anywhere, he gets a reusable sports bottle.

Answer by missanc at 1:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My 4yo hasn't had a sippy since she was like 2. She's been drinking from a regular cup since she was like 15 months but because of spilling we kept the sippies around. At 2 she stopped spilling and the sippy cups were only for the car. By 2 1/2 she learned to drink from a regular bottle of water and we tossed all the sippy cups.
    My older kids, though, used them much longer. I had 3 right in a row and I couldn't get rid of spill-proof cups until the youngest could be trusted not to spill which was around 3 1/2. so the other kids were 4 and 5 at the time. It wasn't that she couldn't drink from a regular cup (she had been doing that for over a year) she's just clumsy and would knock it over all the time or drop it. She's 8 now and still clumsy, lol. All cups stay in the kitchen on the counter in our house (and they still get knocked over constantly).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My son is 3 and he gets regular cups at meal times at the table and a sippy if he's drinking other times or if we're going somewhere.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 6:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i start my kids with a regular cup at 1 while they are in the highchair . they got sippy cups until they were about 18 months. but with every meal they used only regular cups to get them used to the idea. by 18 months they understood the idea n we always leave a cup of juice or water on the counter so when the kids need a drink they can just go take a sip and go on with their day. i have 6 kids and this has worked for all of them!!!
    rms7

Answer by rms7 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i didnt have to take it away he stopped wanting to drink from one at 2. He liked regular cups best.
    Autumn19

Answer by Autumn19 at 9:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• DD is too active for a regular cup.....She drinks out of a sippy that is basically avery soft straw in a cup with a lid and the straw can tuck inside to close. She's almost 3. She only drinks from straws.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 7:30 AM on Feb. 4, 2011