What type/brand breast pump should I get?

We're on a tight budget but want something more efficient than a hand pump. What should we get??

OmMommy

Asked by OmMommy at 1:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Medela was the only one that worked for me!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 1:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Electrical pumps. You could buy or rent one. Perhaps your doctor might know any specific brand.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 1:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I got a hospital grade madela double pump on ebay for 80 dollars with shipping. All the parts that touch your body can be replaced for less than 20 dollars as well. If you watch the bids you can get one for a excellent price. You may have to bid on several to get the price you want.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• you need an electric, dual pump. I had an Ameda pump.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I used the medela I loved it. But where I live we have a breast feeding place that rents them and medicad paid for it. I used it for 6 months. Im still nursing and she is 12mts. I nursed my son til he was 19 months. I would reccomend the medela pump in style it works just as good as the hospital grade.
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 1:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I had a battery powered pump with my first 3, and for my 4th I rented a pump from the hospital. It was like night and day! The hospital pump was incredible. Unless you want to drop several hundred for a pump at the store, renting them is the way to go. You still have to buy the pieces that touch you, but they aren't that much.

Answer by missanc at 1:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• What is the pump for... work or school? Hand pumps are just as efficient as electric pumps. The difference is being able to pump two breasts at a time... and possibly if you have carpal tunnel or something you might want electric. If you need to go back to work or school, you will need a double electric... medela or ameda are the only brands worth spending money on.

Manual pumps actually work *better* for me because I have more control.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My insurance paid for $260 dollars towards my $300 electric Medela pump. I had the hospital check with my insurance though while I was there and they may have made a difference. Some insurance companies will only do it if the doctor recommends it.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I work for WIC. If you qualify they normally provide a nice Madela double electric pump for free.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 4:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2011