• In the Spotlight:

Should smoking be banned even in outdoor areas?

I think there should be a designated area and I think smokers need to stop being treated as criminals. I don't smoke, but I don't find it a threat when a person is smoking near me or in the middle of a damn park. There are far worse things going into my lungs than nicotine. It takes over a million cigarettes to kill a person, but it doesn't take much carbonmonoxide.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Cigarettes are legal, and smokers pay an exorbitant amount in taxes that non smokers don't. Smoking is banned in public buildings, many recreational areas, restaurants and bars, and in some states in HOMES and CARS (which those smokers ALSO pay for). Now you want MORE bans?!?

You drive a car, wear perfume, use stink pretty cleaners and caustic chemicals to clean your home, and you have the gall to gripe about someone else's cigarette? News flash people ~ there ARE worse things than cigarettes that you use and would never think of giving up. Those things are why asthma/COPD/allergies keep rising in areas with heavy smoking bans. It isn't the cigarettes that are causing the problems. There is not ONE medical study that says 'smoking causes' ~ they all say 'MAY CAUSE' because unless a person has a problem to begin with, they can't prove squat. cont.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Banning smoking from the entrance to public buildings is a good way to go. I'm not sure how it is everywhere, but the town I lived in in Michigan banned smoking 30+ feet from public entrances. I think banning it everywhere else is taking it a bit far. I don't get my panties in a bunch if someone is smoking in the park or walking along the sidewalk. It's not like I'm going to go take my kids and stand 2 feet away from them so they can enjoy the second hand smoke.

I agree the name calling is ridiculous and uncalled for.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I have no choice but to breathe what's in the air caused by factories and such, but people make the decision to smoke, but I didn't say I wanted to....why do I have to smell it? Second hand smoke is NOT FILTERED like the stuff the people are sucking in.....
    Anonymous

• Y'all make some good points but if the government doesn't care about the air we breathe (space shuttle giving off fumes every launch) then why should they tell any of us what we can and cannot do?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• dancer: I am assuming that you were referring to my answer.

I guess I should go into more detail. The basics...if we allow the government to dictate what we can and cannot do, where will they stop?

I used to smoke. I did not smoke anywhere near my child. I was careful to mind her health but it is still my right to choose to smoke or not.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I hate that every time I go to the grocery store, I have to walk through a cloud of smoke. I think there should be designated smoke areas BEHIND the building. I shouldn't have to breathe in someone else's cigarette smoke, just because I want to buy food. Gross.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• no, i don't think it should be banned outdoors, that's ridiculous. maybe like you said, in designated area's like near playgrounds & stuff like that. Many places are smoke free, that means tons of people have to go outside to smoke when they're out. If they were not allowed to smoke outside, then lots of restaurants would lose business. People would go to places they can smoke.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I have no problem with designated outdoor areas for smokers but I don't believe in banning it altogether.

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• There are many cities where it is banned in parks and beaches. I bugs me, when its a nice day, fresh breeze, and Im enjoying the fresh air, then I get a whiff of smoke....ugg...nasty. I dont pollute their air space, so mine shouldnt be either.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I think it should be banned where families frequent. Such as parks.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2011