how are we to rebuke a brother in Christ?

and should we be concerned with offending anyone?

fordeeperroots

Asked by fordeeperroots at 1:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• you mean who?
    Anonymous

• Before we confront a brother and sister In Christ we need to pray about it first and get instruction to make sure we do it in Love..that is the most important part. Depending on the situation you could pray for the person and confess changes over them. Really depends on the situation. Whatever you do make sure 1..you are supposed to do/say something and 2 you do it in love..with the right motivation. In fact, we should do this with everyone :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 1:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Though I have never done this personally, it is a serious matter. I agree with kittieashy, that sometimes it takes alot of love for that person to help them. I would think of that persons attitude that you would rebuke. A sane person would consider it helpful, well, maybe after a week of cooling off :)
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• In a nutshell the wrong way is as follows--- You know you're sinning and sinners go to hell, you're going to hell, etc.

A correct way would be as follows-- I have concerns about the way you have been handling this situation, I worry about the negative repercussions it may have on you or those around you, I encourage you to seek help for your predicament and I will be here to help you as well.

Obviously very broad and not addressing anything specific really as it is just an example, but correcting with comdemnation wouldn't be the right way to go IMO.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would speak to a leader in the church or church counselor.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 9:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I know the Bible has specific instructions for this, but I can't remember which book, but off the top of my head, I believe it goes like this:
    Confront the person in person, if they don't accept it...
    Confront the person with another person present, if they don't accept it...
    Confront the person with the church (pastor)...

Its something very close to that.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 11:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• A correct way would be as follows-- I have concerns about the way you have been handling this situation, I worry about the negative repercussions it may have on you or those around you, I encourage you to seek help for your predicament and I will be here to help you as well.

Well said.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I think these ladies answered it very well. Pray first, do it with love, be sensitive, but truthful and let the Holy Spirit do His work:-)
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 12:53 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• with love and compassion
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2011