Now that you are a mom would you advise your children to have children at certain age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, not really. I would warn my girls that early menopause seems to be a trend in our family, so bear that in mind... my mom went through menopause at 39 and her mom at 40! I'm 33... waiting to see whether I also follow the trend. But either way I'm good, I had my kids in my 20s in part because I was aware of that family history.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would advise them to wait until at least 25. I want them to have time to finish growing up before they have kids. And their life will be easier if they have finished college, have a job, a stable marriage and a house before having a baby.

Answer by missanc at 1:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I am a mother to six and I am only 26 years old.I would advise my children to just live their lives and do the things that they really wanna do first.I had my first two children very young and i missed out on alot...
    MommyLove23

Answer by MommyLove23 at 1:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Since my daughter was tiny I always said that after college and lots of travel and a good career she can think about marrying after she turns 30. Kids after that, obviously.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Only if he wasn't prepared to be a father. But if he had everything together and was ready, sure, why not. Any younger though and I'd advise to wait. I barely made my own cut off lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I think I would. My parents had me at 17. For their ages they were very responsible, but the truth is that they were still teens, and as good of a job as they did, and I am very thankful to have been born....I think that it would have been better had they been older as parents. I thought I was so much older when I had my first son at 21, but I had my 2nd at 28 & my 3rd at 30, and I think that I would advise my boys to wait until their in their at least maybe 28.....for girls maybe about 26 or older. I didn't want to be too old when I had my kids either, ideally I think between the ages of 26-36 to give birth to your kids.....but things don't always work out the way we plan.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Not by a certain age but to make sure they are financially ready. Make sure they traveled and really got their "partying" out of their systems. Once you have a child you can no longer think of yourself first. I had my son at 28 and I still feel I didn't do everything I could have when I was younger. But I am looking forward to watching him grow and having fun as well.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would recommend that they wait until at least their late 20s, and even later if they weren't ready at that time.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Yeah, i tell her it's better to wait until you're financially stable & with someone you love, which usually doesn't hapen together until you're older. She says "Well, you had me at 19" and i tell her "yeah, you're right. But, if i could have waited until was done with college, we'd have more money & I'd be able to give you more things & have more fun". I told her its best to wait until after 25.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would want my child to have all the education she wants, to have the ability to support herself and a loving partner to share the joy with. I would not want to see her with a child in high school, although I know several teen mothers who have made this work. I just feel they missed some of their youth by becoming parents so young.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2011