How do you change a litter box while pregnant?

I know how to change a litter box but just started thinking since we adopted a second kitty today. My husband will be deploying soon and that leaves me to take care of the litter box. I am only 10 weeks now so I will have a good part of my pregnancy left once hubby leaves. What measures should I take to protect this little one? (gloves, mask, etc.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Go with gloves and mask!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I wouldn't take a chance with wearing gloves and a mask. Ask a family member to help.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Gloves and a mask! Make sure you wash your hands really well when you are done!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• If you've had cats for a while, you've probably already contracted and are now immune to toxoplasmosis without even knowing it. It's a simple blood test so your dr can test for immunity to set your mind at ease.

Answer by missanc at 1:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Yes gloves and mask. My Dr. told me that if you were exposed to the littler box prior to pregnancy, you have already had the disease and should have an immunity to it. It is less harmful to a person who is not pregnant. Its the damage it can do to baby if you have not been exposed...I would call your Dr. and see what they say and follow their instructions. I wore a mask and gloves..and then tried not to breath when I was pregnant with all 4 of my kids and had to change the cat box. Otherwise have someone else do it..do you have other children old enough to help out?
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Use rubber cleaning gloves (the thick ones) and a good mask then scrub those hands, mama! Since you just got a new cat be careful because he/she may be carrying toxoplasmosis. But normally if you have had a cat for a long time and it's always been an indoor cat you don't have to worry too much (still use precautions) but you don't have to go overboard.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Yeah just rubber gloves and a mask like you'd get when painting is fine. The point is to not breathe it in or tough the poop. Honestly in both my pregnancies I always scooped it out and just held my breath
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Thank you ladies! My closest family member is 8 hours away and my oldest child is only 3 so thats out of the question! I have had my first cat for almost 4 years and she has always been an indoor outdoor cat so I problly have been in contact with it already. To be safe I am going to wear gloves and a mask and of corse wash hands really well afterwards :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Gloves and a mask. I had to do this with my first pregnant and my husband was away for a few months.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i cleaned my cat box everyday. it takes 24 hours if the cat has it for it to be in the poop. but i would cover face with a wash cloth just incase.
    the other thing is correct also, that you most likely are immune to it. good job adopting the kitty!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 3, 2011