Why do people assume that if you're a smoker that you are lazy for not quiting...

Doesn't it ever don on people that maybe smokers just like to smoke and don't want to quit?

I'm not a smoker at the moment, and I prefer "smoke free" versions to regular cigarettes. But once I'm done nursing I can't wait to start smoking again. I love to smoke, I love the taste, the smell, the feel... All of it. It doesn't make me lazy, it just means I like to smoke. As a grown woman, it's my right to smoke if I so choose to.

Smoking doesn't make someone lazy, it just means they, as an adult, are choosing to do so...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Just for Fun

• People suck anonymous. They really do. They feel it's their right to judge someone for doing something they don't agree with becaue they think they're more exalted than the rest of us because they DON'T smoke. I don't smoke. I've tried it a few times but never took on to it. But I'm not going to sit there and condone others for doing it because it's their choice. That is how they relax.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I felt the same way for a long time. I simply didn't want to quit. I never pretended to want to quit or plan on quitting.
    Then...
    Basically one day I just decided I was done. I didn't want my kids seeing me smoke so I stopped that day. I have not had a cigarette in over 3 years.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• You can endanger your life all you want. Don't bring your family down with you. Watching you slowly die of lung cancer will not be so enjoyable to them.
    Anonymous

• I don't assume they're lazy. I just assume they have their priorities wrong and that they don't care enough about themselves to change. For me, it boils down to an issue of self-destruction, just like many other problems such as over-eating, cutting, drug use, etc. Perhaps that's an over-simplification, but I think that not loving yourself enough to stop doing something so harmful is at the root of these behaviors.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I don't feel anything about smokers, except when they stand next to a public entrance smoking!
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 1:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Sense the sarcasm?

smoking kills... Pictures, Images and Photos

By all means keep smoking, it IS your right. That doesn't mean people are not going to think you are stupid and or lazy for partaking in such a destructive habit.
    Anonymous

• Nothing like kissing an ash tray. gag
    Anonymous

• I have this memory of my grandmother's smokers breath. YUCK!
    Anonymous

• She isnt smoking while pregnant, if you would have read the post you would of known that! It says she cant wait until shes done nursing so she can smoke again! Lol.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I don't really assume that they're lazy, just not very smart. I don't see the logic in chosing to die a slow painful death. I used to be a smoker, and I will admit whether you like it or not, it's just plain dumb. So if you want to smoke then have at it but don't expect a pat on the back.
    Anonymous