Baby Food?

How can I get my son to like green beans and peas I swear my son is already picky and his only 8 months old! he is addicted to his formula but we are trying to get him to eat more food than formula so the "off the formula transition" wont drive him (or us) crazy. Please any ideas will help any at all! Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mix them with things he will eat. My son went through a phase where he wouldn't eat anything if it didn't have bananas in it. So of course there were the standard strawberries and bananas, banana mixed berry, etc....and then we had the hand-mixed bananas and green beans, bananas and carrots, etc. Disgusting, but he ate his veggies! Lol.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Try other foods than green beans and peas. Orange vegetables like squash and yams are easier for them to digest and have a milder flavor.
    Anonymous

• My ped told me that babies taste buds change. He may not be crazy about them now but might love them later. My son used to eat mac and cheese all the time, now he doesnt want anything to do with it. Do what 2blondebabies suggested. Try other veggies and then go back to them. If you absolutely want him to have green beans and peas, you can always mix it in with the other veggies and see if he likes it then.
    RishawnsMom

Answer by RishawnsMom at 2:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Try to introduce all the other veggies then reintroduce those two.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I have always started with squash and carrots. When a baby is good with them, then you can do the trick where you put both the green veggie in the bowl and the orange veggie. Then you can give a bite of orange and alternate it with a bite of green. Good luck
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 2:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• They say to try, try again. With my experience, when my girls didn't like something, they never liked it reguardless of how many times I tried. As far as trying to give food more than formula, I wouldn't worry so much about that now. Feed him food 3 times a day and in between give formula. I used to do a fruit in the morning or a yogart or even baby oatmeal, vegatable for lunch, and a dinner for obviously dinner. I would then give formula during the other times besides snacks. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Thank you comments are great, and Ill try that mixing thing my mother has told me to do that too. So definitely trying that!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Are you giving him baby food, or table food? If you're trying baby food, then switch to table food. Just offer a little of whatever you are having on his tray and let him feed himself.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• He is eating baby food he cant eat table food yet he was slow getting his teeth and instead of trying to chew hes trying to swallow before chewing so he chokes hes had soft carrots all he does is gags and its sad to see but we keep trying I hope we can speed him up soon and he can eat table food but he just cant take it yet. :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Teeth have nothing to do with chewing when they are infants. We chew with the back of our mouths and they don't get those teeth until the 2nd year. Infants chew with their back gums.

He's having trouble chewing because he doesn't know he's supposed to. You've been giving him "food" he doesn't need to chew... so he doesn't realize that he has to. He also has never had to deal with the gag reflex that is really far up in the mouth in infants. Part of the process of learning to eat is moving that reflex back (it's far up to protect them from choking). He also might just not be ready for solids yet.

Offer table food on his tray, let him choose whether to eat it or not and he'll get the hang of it. He doesn't *need* solids and continuing to give "baby" food will not help your goal of getting him transitioned to real food. If he gags every time, then he's not yet ready for food, plain and simple.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2011