Peonies

I am looking to get some growing advice on peonies. I am in love with these flowers and really want to grow them this year in my garden. I am in Southern Delaware (zone 7) and am wondering what I can do to get the soil best prepared for peonies. What problems have you have? And any photos you'd like to share are always enjoyed.

LadybugTash

Asked by LadybugTash at 2:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I planted peonies in full sun & they do great. I bought the roots at Home Depot. It takes a few years after you plant the roots to actually get flowers. Then after that I get more each year. Just dig a hole, loosen as much dirt as you can & plant the root. Cover with garden soil, then mulch to keep the roots moist. That's it! Just don't disturb it until you start getting flowers. I uprooted one plant twice & I had to wait twice as long for flowers. I never fertilize either. I cut the greenery to the ground in the fall.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I love peonies! Unfortunately I have fake ones but good luck and enjoy.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• What kind of mulch do you use?
    LadybugTash

Comment by LadybugTash (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Regular brown garden mulch pre-bagged from Home Depot. It's just to keep moisture around the dirt of the plant so the sun doesn't dry it out too fast.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• They also need good drainage, otherwise the roots may rot. Good air circulation is important, so don't plant too close together. They are susceptible to fungus, so keep an eye out for that and use a fungicide when need. Fungus causes the leaves to turn black, so they must be removed and destroyed, then use the fungicide. NEVER compost diseased plant material.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2011