What can DF do with DD while mommy is away having little sister?

My DD will be 20 months on Feb 30, but on the 24th I'm booked for my C-section to have baby #2.
DF plans to take over with DD, and quite frankly I think HE WILL BE LOST!
Further more I'm not sure how she will adapt, since usually Daddy is on another floor all together playing Xbox or doing whatever...he plays with her when he comes down to the playroom/rec room but for the most part it is just mommy and her watching cartoons/playing together.

What are some things he can do with her to bond and make the transition go more smoothly ?

I will be away roughly 4 days in hospital, but even after I will be limited on what I can do, due to healing.

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 2:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get them a few new movies, books and games. Give him some craft ideas. They will be fine, you just have to have faith in him!
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would start having him take her out on his own now. They can drive around, have lunch together, go to the park if its nice, or something like that. That way she is already spending more time with him and he is used to how she is and can handle the situation without asking you what to do.
    I agree with books, movies, games etc as well. You know your dd, and know also what she likes to do. Make a list of her favorite things for him.

Answer by gemgem at 2:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Does anyone else realize there aren't 30 days in February?
    Anonymous

• I would unplug the x-box frankly. He can have the plug back when she is in bed. He should be bonding and helping with this child not playing games while he is home.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Op when is your DDs birthday??
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• To make it easier on DD and dad, I would encourage him to start getting more involved with her NOW, that way it will not be a shock to either of them when you are gone. He should start taking 'notes' now so he will have things down pat when you are in the hospital. I do think that when you are gone you should take the video game cords to the hospital with you so he can't play x-box all day (and ignore dd). Some ideas of things they can do together: go to the park, or an indoor play area, the zoo (if you are somewhere warm), story time at the library.... at home ideas: read books, play games, play toys...go for a walk around the block or put her in the stroller and mall-walk....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Her bday is June 30th..so i guess it will be Feb 28th this month lol
    AshleyRoseG

Comment by AshleyRoseG (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My DH took daddy / baby swim class at the Y. It's only once a week for 45 minutes but it has really helped to bond them. It also really helped for DH to appreciate all the hard work mommy does. lol
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 8:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• He needs immersive training to start ... yesterday! Seriously, he needs to be around you two, first watching, then doing EVERYTHING supervised, then unsupervised. Don't criticize him unless there is a major flaw in his technique (ie will cause serious harm or death) and complement what he does well. It'll make him want to do it more.

Good luck.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I have been freaking out about the same thing. My DS will be 22months on my due date with baby #2 and DF really is never alone with him. He works alot, he leaves the house at 2 in the after noon n doesnt get home til almost 1am. So he doesnt get to spend much time with DS due to the long hrs n trying to sleep. But he said he plans on bringing our DS home after I have baby and keep him. I think he is going to lose his mind lol. But all of our neighbors are family so if he needs help atleast its right there. His aunt watched DS alot when I worked so DS is very comfortable with her so I imagine he will end up down there while Im in the hospital. Hope your DF can handle it!!!
    misssababe1128

Answer by misssababe1128 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 4, 2011