Does anyone make beaded jewelry?

I am interested in getting started with making my own jewelry and any tips will be appreciated.

crekee

Asked by crekee at 2:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I have 2 needle nose pliers and some other tools. Buying beads and supplies is expensive so try to get coupons from your favorite stores. Go to the dollare store for containers with compartments in them. Have fun. Find inspiration at the mall. Find a style and it makes it easier, like do you like nature items, vintage, or modern?
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I used to make it in High School and sell it to the kids too. How fancy do you want to get? There are a bunch of little books you look at, probably a good many of them are at the library. When starting a piece or looking for things at the store the first thing you need to do is decide what colors you want to use and what design or combination you want to use. Then, have fun! I would love to do some more with that myself. I miss it!
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I make some jewelry and I make rosaries (for Catholics). I don't really have any good tips though. It's fun!
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Do a search here on CM for groups that do jewelry. That helps. I love designing my own stuff. Definitely watch for sales. For tools, I ALWAYS use a weekly 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon or a 50% off Michael's coupon. JoAnn's has coupons too. But, I don't have one close to me. So, I don't know about their selections.  I admin a group called Crafters in need of a 12 step program http://www.cafemom.com/group/107579. We have a jewelry making section. Feel free to join, browse, ask, learn & design with a great group of ladies!

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I bought a set of jewlery plyers at hobby lobby for about $12 and I get a lot of beads on etsy. It's a trial and error kind of thing, but I really enjoy it. Best tip - don't pay more for the beads than you can sell the finished project for (if you are selling them). Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It is not worthwhile. Every market you go to has a dozen stalls trying to sell bead jewellery. If you enjoy doing this for yourself, fine. If you plan on making money, forget it.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• To get started making beaded jewelry, I went to a local bead shop. The woman there gave me a bead tray and I went around choosing beads I just loved the colors and shapes of. When I was finished finding the beads I liked, she helped me put them together into a beautiful bracelet, teaching me all the steps along the way. It was so fun! I got hooked and I've been doing it ever since! The thing about making jewelery is that, even though there are many people doing it, everyone has their own unique style and flavor that they bring to the art. I'd say go for it! Worse case scenario....you have awesome handmade presents for those friends and family on your Christmas Gift list!!! Good luck!
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 5:04 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I used to make jewelry and sell it to a reggae band. My kids would wear some to school and their friends would buy too. Make several different types to appeal to different types of people. Put some pics on your fb or whatever you may have and let your friends pass it on to their friends and their friends and on and on. Word of mouth is an excellent way to do it. Good Luck and have fun!
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 10:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2011