How long did it take you to learn how to sew well?

Who taught you, what was your first sewing machine?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 2:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Pffft! Sew well!? I'm not sure about that.. My grandmother had me sewing early though, I can sew a strait line if I am focused, forget elastic and circles though! I currently have my first machine, but I don't remember what it is.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I taught myself last year. I have a Kenmore "beginner's sewing machine" that I use because I could afford it. As for sewing well... I don't know if I would say that I do.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My aunt started me when I was about 3. I started on the machine when I was about 6. Sewing well takes practise and understanding of the process, machine, fabric, body and design.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I've been sewing since I was tall enough to see the top of the machine and reach the pedal. My mom was a ladies tailor or couture. She bought me a Kenmore childs machine when I was 6. I think it was so I could sew when she was, as I was always begging to use her machine. Designed my doll clothes and such. I even began to make my own clothes by the time I was 9. I often wish I would have old enough to take over her business when she had her stroke ( I was 8) Now it's impossible to start this cottage business as all people now want is cheap alterations.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I am self taught. I used to sew by hand, and when I got into medieval re-enactment I started making my own gowns by hand. It wasn't until 2003, when I graduated highschool and went to college, that I got my first sewing machine as a christmas gift from my grandfather. It's a little one..a Kenmore Mini Ultra. It finally quit on me this past week, and I think it's still something I can fix..needs sewing machine oil or something.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My mom taught me, and her mom taught her. She started me when I was around 4, by cutting out the pieces for clothes for my doll, and showing me where and how to hand stitch them into little garments. I started using her sewing machine when I was about 8. By 10, I was making some of my own clothes. Sewing was part of the Home Economics class all the girls in my middle school were automatically assigned. I went on to take Creative Sewing, and Tailoring classes in high school. For me, needlework has always been a source of pleasure, as well as a way of saving money. During my crazy teen years, sewing, knitting and crochet were among few activities I could peacefully share with my mother (I had a rather volatile rebellious period then). When I sew nowadays, whatever I'm making, I always wonder what my mom would say about it, if she were still here.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I've been sewing since I was a kid. My mom and Grandma both had a hand in teaching me how to sew.
    My sewing machine is a hand-me-down from my mom. It's a Brother. I don't know the model though.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My mother taught me how to sew first. I had a class in high school too and once I was married I took a few classes offered at a fabric store near me. I had my own alteration business for many years. My first machine was a Sears and I had it for years.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My mom taught me, but I am constantly learning. My first machine I owned was a kenmore, I buy used machines at estate sales and such. I first started sewing barbie clothes.
    almightycookie

Answer by almightycookie at 9:32 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• A singer of course (dad worked for them) and mom taught me. Also took class in high school.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2011