cystic fibrosis

The doctor told me im a carrier of the cf gene. Has anyone tested positive for it? Do you think i have anything to worry about? I have no family history and my oldest child is fine.

augboy11

Asked by augboy11 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Health

• Your husband would also have to be a carrier in order to pass the disease. He should get tested too. Just so you know.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• he has no insurane and the dr said its very uncommon for both of us
    augboy11

Comment by augboy11 (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I think u should ask the doctor for advice.
    Marydoll

Answer by Marydoll at 3:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i did and she couldnt tell me what to do
    augboy11

Comment by augboy11 (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• It may be uncommon, but that is how cystic fibrosis is passed. In order for a child to get cystic fibrosis both parents must carry the gene. So every child living with CF is one of those "uncommon" situations. Your dh should be tested to put your mind at ease. My ds was tested for CF at around 18 months old because of some growth issues and stuff. CF had never been anything we thought about. He was negative thank god. If we had been tested prior to, we could have spared us all that terrifying experience.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2011